Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Default Delay compensation broken

I have seen a couple of other threads pertaining to issues with delay comp, but most of them seemed to involve more elaborate scenarios, so I thought I would post this. I just bounced a track, and used a TDM Trim plug in to flip the phase and null test the resultant track. It was 4 samples off-the amount the delay comp was claiming it was compensating. Turn off and on delay comp and hit play...silence. So delay comp seems to stop working occasionally. Which is kind of bad. Back to 7.3.1 it is.

Dual G5 2.7g
OS 10.5.7
PT HD 8.0cs3
Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Delay compensation broken

Yeah, I've had this same thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I thought I was the only one.

WOW....
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 08-21-2009, 11:41 PM

I know what you're referring to and I've seen it a lot - it's frustrating - but I haven't seen it as much in PT8. Quite a bit in 7.x.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner View Post
I have seen a couple of other threads pertaining to issues with delay comp, but most of them seemed to involve more elaborate scenarios, so I thought I would post this. I just bounced a track, and used a TDM Trim plug in to flip the phase and null test the resultant track. It was 4 samples off-the amount the delay comp was claiming it was compensating. Turn off and on delay comp and hit play...silence. So delay comp seems to stop working occasionally. Which is kind of bad. Back to 7.3.1 it is.

Dual G5 2.7g
OS 10.5.7
PT HD 8.0cs3
Yes, ADC needs constant surveillance, especially when one is instantiating a plug-in during playback. That really makes ADC go bananas. The digi delays like short delay are breaking ADC 50% of the time. Toggling ADC normally relieves this problem but there are occasions where I need to remove the instantiation completely.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Not that I doubt you, but is it really possible to discern the 4 samples difference just by ear? That does seem like a very tiny amount of difference.

And not that ADC isn't broken and shouldn't be fixed... that's not my point... just that without your test, would you have known the timing was off by 4 samples....
Old 08-22-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Talbot View Post
Not that I doubt you, but is it really possible to discern the 4 samples difference just by ear? That does seem like a very tiny amount of difference.

And not that ADC isn't broken and shouldn't be fixed... that's not my point... just that without your test, would you have known the timing was off by 4 samples....
(jumping in on someone else's thread)
In one situation it can be obvious - parallel processing. Any other situation, I would never notice it.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Certainly 4 samples is basically a negligible amount. I only discovered it when I was phase-null testing a bounce to verify that it was true to the original. However, the problem isn't the 4 samples. The issue is that ADC wasn't working, which could lead to a lot of bigger problems.

Interestingly, when I went to the Tiger/PT 7.3.1 partition on my machine, I had the same problem. And I have been doing this bouncing and phase checking for years on this machine and never seen this behavior. I only recently created this Leopard/PT 8 partiotion, and now I have the problem on both!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 PM

I've always had this problem. I'm on P T's 8 now with the the same, having to toggle ADC on and off to make sure that it is working after making a new track or instantiating a plugin, problem that I've had ever since ADC was introduced. Nothing has changed. I've just gotten used to doing this all of the time just to be sure that ADC is working.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM

The issue is that ADC wasn't working

I totally agree..
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 PM

It's always been partially broken. The good part is, even though this should not be the case, that there is a workaround.