Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM

Default Multi-band Compressors

Okay, so I know that Multi-band compressors are used in Rock and other similar music to intensify the highs or make the bass extra punchy.

I write primarily cinematic orchestral music (intended for movies, video games, etc.) and was unsure whether compressors, limiters, and those sort of plug-ins are really that useful (if not harmful) to orchestral soundtracks.

Best,
DAPianist
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 PM

Might I recommend the McDSP ML 4000? There is a mastering preset called "Classical." Turn off the gate, slide up the master threshold a bit and you're good to go.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Multi-band Compressors

Thank you, I'll look into it. But what is the purpose of a Multi-band compressor in Film Music. I use Vienna Ensemble so the sound is already pretty polished. It's not like I'm recording a live orchestra.

Also, I've been using the AIR Stereo Width (plug-in) for mastering my clips. I feel that it gives a wider stereo presence to my music. However, the Audio Plug-ins Guide says that this plug-in is for use with mono audio signals. Has anybody ever used it for Stereo?

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAPianist View Post
But what is the purpose of a Multi-band compressor in Film Music.
I would talk with the mixer who will mix a show: dialogs, bg's, sfx, foleys and music.
Most likely he will ask not to use any compression or limiting at all.

Don't forget that you write your music for the film not the way around.
Try to make it as open or as tight as picture calls.
Don't chase after the volume or compression or other technical achievements you would with a CD release.
Make it sound emotional and full, don't limit any frequencies as you can't judge of it unless it plays on a big mix stage.

The bottom line - don't use multi band compressors for post music.

BEWARE of any stereo imaging plugins which use phases to "open up" the image. It causes the phase coherence problem later on.

Remember that if you submit a stereo mix of your music, the mixer might want to wide it to 5.0 or 5.1 in his mix. So don't mess with phases, widening as it may seriously limit his work.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 AM

Hi mgoorevich,

These pieces I'm working on now, are not for any specific project but for marketing agencies.

So, at this point, I am the mixer and I want to make it sound as good as possible (with the hope of getting one placed).

That being said, would you still recommend to leave the mix un-enhanced and trust that someone would be interested for it's dramatic quality? Or, is it better to mix and master a little to make it sound more polished?

Thank you much,
DAPianist
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM

If it's not for any specific project, then your target is to promote yourself, your talent and your music at its best.
In this case do it the best you think it deserves to be!
Your target is to impress your potential client and convince him to hire you in the future.
Sometimes when I am asked by the producer or director to recommend on particular musician for the film, my recommendation will be based on some highlight in film composed by the musician.
Honestly...most, even serious producers and directors will judge about the sound track...on their laptops or tablets. This is the reality.
...Oh yeah...multiband compressors

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24