Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-20-2000, 07:33 AM

Default What If?

What if Digi worked with other hardware manufacturers of effects processors to develop a standard interface that would be included on their products. This interface would allow these boxes to function in a
PT Mix+ 24 system by just adding the appropriate software interface for the device.

Now your gear can function within Pro Tools without the added dsp requirements and also taken on the road the following day for a remote gig.

OP
Old 07-20-2000, 09:28 AM

Default Re: What If?

That is a GREAT idea!!
Old 07-20-2000, 10:04 AM

Sounds great.

The interface that comes to mind is Firewire. Thats where it's headed, or so Yamaha and a few others are convinced.

This would be a much too forward thinking move on the part of Digi. If you haven't noticed Digi would rather try to squeeze every last penny out of it's customers with overpriced, outdated proprietary hardware than do something creative like this.

kasper

(sorry for the rant)
Old 07-20-2000, 04:35 PM

That's a really killer idea. That would fly really well I think. Though a lot of people like having the plugins for easy accessability. But for some things, it might be appropriate. I wonder if Digidesign has considered this as an option. Then again, Digi's technology will probably change drastically when opto-chips hit the main market, so they're probably putting a lot of their research into that (those are chips that use a light pulse system and have some sort of an organic modulator, ultra high tech sh**!)
Old 07-20-2000, 04:58 PM

I'd love to see ANYTHING that would ease the cost of using offboard gear. I'd really love to get a great offboard reverb to use with my Mix+. I'd be happy if they at least offered a digital IO box (with no A/D converters) for a reasonable price. The way it is now, I'd be looking at adding an 888 for the same or more money as the reverb, and might never wind up using its A/D...ouch.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tld (edited July 20, 2000).]