Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Two computers, one interface. (but not at the same time)

I share a studio space with a friend, and he has an older Mac desktop running PT 9 while I have a MacBook Pro running PT 10. We both share the same hardware interface -- a DIGI003 Rack. After I upgraded to PT 10, my friend's machine no longer recognizes the 003. Seems strange to me that this should happen. Why would my upgrading cause his system to no longer work? Does PT10 affect the DIGI003 firmware in some way, causing it to no longer work with PT9?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Two computers, one interface. (but not at the same time)

no it should still work with 9. Are you using an 1394-A/B switch or do you both have your computers plugged into the firewire ports simultaneously. I would imagine that your power handling on your pc isn't turning off the firewire connection. Then the device isn't available until reboot. I have one from these guys http://www.signvideo.com/

Make sure you power cycle your 003 between uses
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Frequent unplugging/unplugging of Powered up Firewire connectors is a bad idea, if that is happening.

Your friend just has a problem, nothing likely to do with your system. Get him to post here with all the usual info asked for under "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!". Including what version of everything he is running and what standard debugging steps he has tried. Is the Firewire LED lit? Trying to reinstall the driver is a good idea.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM

When I'm at the studio, I just unplug the DIGI 003 fireware cable from his desktop and plug it into my laptop before powering up. When I'm done for the night, I power down and then plug the firewire cable back into his machine. We're never there at the same time so this has worked fine up to now.

We'll try upgrading the driver on his machine to see if that does the trick.

Thanks for your response.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 AM

The other weird thing that is happening for him is that his external drive won't mount at all if the DIGI is powered up!

It's a little difficult because I haven't been down there to witness the problems for myself and am relying on his emails about it. I'll try and get specifics about his machine tonight when I'm there, if updating the driver doesn't solve the problem.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM

do yourself a favor and if you can schedule some time with him to trouble shoot. I bet its computer related for him. could be something as simple as a fire wire cable or card going out. Glad your rig is working though :)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM

Well, it appears that the firewire port on the DIGI 003 is fried once again, despite our due diligence in never swapping the cable while the unit is powered on. It's not being recognized on my system now either, and no lights on in front.

Good thing I got a complementary Avid support code when I upgraded to PT10 recently!

Thanks for your suggestions.