Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM

Default Re: New "Cloud Storage Services" with Google Drive, Dropbox? What the heck?

I'm definitely waiting for Gobbler to come back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The actual cloud storage part is a near worthless commodity, any value should come from the app. And I assume Avid thinks they are going to charge for/restrict storage on these other cloud platforms.

The sad thing, is after all the drama with dumping Gobbler, Avid cloud storage has been such an unusable flakey mess... now they have to support multiple cloud back-ends. I'd just not be rushing to use any of them with Avid software.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-01-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Re: New "Cloud Storage Services" with Google Drive, Dropbox? What the heck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
I actually wonder if they are planning to transition away from the cloud tech, as they are a small pickup truck vs a global courier. I wonder if their own platform was to provide a sense of security after the Gobbler shenanigans, and now they realise who the industry leaders are, it's ridiculous to rebuild the wheel that others have already advanced. (on thread to justify my first comments).
I don't think they'll be able to dump cloud tech -- it's where this boat is headed with collaborations on the rise -- but, yeah, they'll eventually let someone else handle it. Avid just needs to make PT feel fully integrated with the technology. Some of that is still on cloud servers as they're still somewhat clunky. We've had horrible issues with Google Drive on Macs. Not even related to PT, just using them as basic cloud drives.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:00 AM

For years all my PT active sessions have resided in Dropbox. Everything is always backed up and you can easily retrieve earlier versions of a session even if you haven't used "save as." Now I expect behavior to be even better with Pro Tools and the new cloud features in 2020.5.