Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2021, 06:15 AM

Default MIDI learn and automation inconsistency

Some instruments like the Plugin Alliance bx_oberhausen work perfectly with MIDI learn and automation in Pro Tools.

With bx_oberhausen, if I:
1. MIDI learn a parameter to my control inside the plugin
2. Enter touch/latch mode
3. Record arm the instrument track
4. Hit play and move the learned control on my controller
The automation will show up perfectly in the appropriate Pro Tools automation lane.

With many other instruments that allow MIDI learn, this doesn't work.
For example with any Arturia instrument plugin, this exact same process doesn't write any automation. I can manipulate learned parameters with my controller during playback, but no automation gets written. However, entering automation with the mouse works fine.

Why with some companies does the MIDI learn function work correctly, but the automation doesn't get written? If Plugin Alliance can do it, what is Arturia not doing?

Is there any way to force the automation to be written?

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:45 PM

Default Re: MIDI learn and automation inconsistency

Different devs map their parameters differently, and Pro Tools has more deliniation between what is a qualified MIDI CC message, and what is “Automation”. You’ll notice if you write Mod Wheel, Expression (and often) the standard MIDI Filter Cutoff and ADSR controls, it will show up as MIDI CCs in controller lanes. If you want to automate a parameter that is listed in the VIs “Automation” options, you usually can not control it with a “MIDI assignment” unless you have a specific controller that knows that it is sending “Automation” data, and not “MIDI” data. This is confusing in Pro Tools, but once you understand it, you’ll know what to look for. Remember that you have to assign an Automation parameter to be Active in the plug-in window in order to be able to record and read Automation data on that parameter.

Side note: the use of “Automation” data instead of MIDI data for some parameters is actually a good thing, since MIDI only has 127 steps that you can adjust in. While I don’t recall the exact number, PT Automation supports higher resolution, allowing you to have a more granular, smoother movement in your automation.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 01-27-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
This is confusing in Pro Tools, but once you understand it, you’ll know what to look for. Remember that you have to assign an Automation parameter to be Active in the plug-in window in order to be able to record and read Automation data on that parameter.

Side note: the use of “Automation” data instead of MIDI data for some parameters is actually a good thing, since MIDI only has 127 steps that you can adjust in. While I don’t recall the exact number, PT Automation supports higher resolution, allowing you to have a more granular, smoother movement in your automation.
Thanks Kerry. I really appreciate the response.

I'm using a generic MIDI controller. The thing that is confusing me is that I'm using the exact same process in both examples I gave.

Both Arturia and Plugin Alliance allow you to MIDI learn controls, which I've done.
I also have the automation parameters active in the plug-in window for the parameters that I've MIDI learned.

The only difference is that Plugin Alliance passes along my controller movements as automation data that can be written, and for some reason Arturia doesn't. I'm just wondering if it's a simple fix that Arturia and other developers aren't aware of?

If all virtual instrument plug-ins with MIDI learn capabilities behaved like Plugin Alliance, then Pro Tools would be a much more appealing DAW to use VIs in.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
Thanks Kerry. I really appreciate the response.

I'm using a generic MIDI controller. The thing that is confusing me is that I'm using the exact same process in both examples I gave.

Both Arturia and Plugin Alliance allow you to MIDI learn controls, which I've done.
I also have the automation parameters active in the plug-in window for the parameters that I've MIDI learned.

The only difference is that Plugin Alliance passes along my controller movements as automation data that can be written, and for some reason Arturia doesn't. I'm just wondering if it's a simple fix that Arturia and other developers aren't aware of?

If all virtual instrument plug-ins with MIDI learn capabilities behaved like Plugin Alliance, then Pro Tools would be a much more appealing DAW to use VIs in.
Actually - no - Plugin Alliance's vi MIDI learn is a disaster. I know because I've been down that road. Say in Oberhausen you MIDI learn something as simple as cc7 for volume control. Change to another patch and that assignment disappears. Been in touch with their tech support and they have no intention of fixing that.

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Actually - no - Plugin Alliance's vi MIDI learn is a disaster. I know because I've been down that road. Say in Oberhausen you MIDI learn something as simple as cc7 for volume control. Change to another patch and that assignment disappears. Been in touch with their tech support and they have no intention of fixing that.
Thank you for pointing that issue out.

I just meant the part of Plugin Alliance's MIDI implementation that allows for writing automation. I should have specified that.