Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2021, 02:36 PM

Default Re: 2020 compatibility to v12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hey

Sorry I missed that question on the other thread but as you thought features in 2020.X will just be left out in the PT12 session

Otherwise as said above the sessions will work between those versions.
Hey, Christopher!!! No worries! If anything, sorry for the impatience! haha I had to save the session, so I thought I would ask on the other forum. Not to mention it was probably the wrong question to ask I in the other forum we were speaking in, so I apologize about that. Thank you for all of your help, dude!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
The tracks within Folder tracks will show as normal tracks when you go to an older version of Pro Tools, you don't lose them so you're fine.

Pete
Awesome! Thank you! I do appreciate it!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Routing Folders get converted back into Auxes, Basic folders disappear. Neither come back when re-opening a session in a folder enabled version after opening in an older version.
Oh, got ya! So basically, if it's a routing folder, an old version of Pro Tools will turn them into an aux, and if reopened in a new version of Pro Tools, they stay as an Aux, if I'm understanding that correctly? If so, I imagine all plugins or automation is in tact?

I'm just asking in the event I do something stupid and go to my laptop and make changes, but I'm gonna try to get all of that updated with Catalina as soon as I can.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:15 PM

What about Freeze and Commit? Seems like PT12 would have no way to handle tracks like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
No problems, all the way back to PT10. Its the same file format for 10 thru the current versions. 9 and older would require some extra steps, but you are totally safe(sessions can also move between Windows and Mac with zero troubles in all recent versions).
Old 01-26-2021, 07:03 PM

.cm file is normal .wav file with new extension to mark it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Oh, got ya! So basically, if it's a routing folder, an old version of Pro Tools will turn them into an aux, and if reopened in a new version of Pro Tools, they stay as an Aux, if I'm understanding that correctly? If so, I imagine all plugins or automation is in tact?

I'm just asking in the event I do something stupid and go to my laptop and make changes, but I'm gonna try to get all of that updated with Catalina as soon as I can.
Yup. All routing, plugins, sends, automation stays in tact. The only thing lost is the "folder-y-ness" of being able to have tracks contained within the folder and open and close it.

Also the Solo Safe behavior is slightly different between Routing Folders and traditional Auxes. Routing Folders allow you to hear tracks inside the folder (whether routed to that folder or not) without solo safing the folder. When those get converted back into Auxes, I find I need to solo safe them to restore traditional Aux solo behavior (SIP).
Old 01-27-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Yup. All routing, plugins, sends, automation stays in tact. The only thing lost is the "folder-y-ness" of being able to have tracks contained within the folder and open and close it.

Also the Solo Safe behavior is slightly different between Routing Folders and traditional Auxes. Routing Folders allow you to hear tracks inside the folder (whether routed to that folder or not) without solo safing the folder. When those get converted back into Auxes, I find I need to solo safe them to restore traditional Aux solo behavior (SIP).
Got ya! Thank you very much for the reply! I do appreciate it!!!