Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 AM

Default Finally fixed a long time problem

I finally fixed a bug that has been plaguing my studio rig for years. Ever since I built my present system, I have had an occasional squeal and audio dropouts. It started off as a rare event, but as I've expanded my system and added new virtual instruments and plugins to it, it's gotten progressively worse, totally interrupting recording sessions by having the audio drop out completely and having to reboot a couple of times to get it going again.

Finally a couple of weeks ago, I had enough. It's a powerhouse of a recording system and it shouldn't be behaving this way. I had the system usage window open in Pro Tools, and watched the bars DROP when the event happened. So I realized something was taking power away from the program, not the other way around. I opened up task manager, and found that one program was using an abnormal amount of processing power. It was Windows Defender.

So, even though the rig is hooked up to the internet, I don't surf from there. The only time I'm on the net is when I am buying or updating plugins or software. I took a chance and disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and it instantly fixed the problem.

To make things better, Pro Tools launches in seconds now, since Win Defender is not checking every single element of Pro Tools and all the plugins as they load.

My guess is that MSE was scanning every thing that was happening within PT from the time I launched the program right down to the recording process, and totally interfering with the system.

I'll take my chances without MSE, my rig is working better now than it did when I first built it.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Finally fixed a long time problem

Interesting. Did you get error messages? I am plagued with -9093 errors that I can reduce by about 70% by disconnecting the internet. Will have to try killing Defender too and see what happens Thanks for sharing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 PM

I never got an error message. Just a short squeal or two, then audio dropouts. This would go on until I rebooted, so usually when it started, I had no choice but to just stop completely. I found it interesting that I didn't get any error messages though.

I tell you, I'm happy as a clam now.

I actually waited about two weeks before coming here to report it because I wanted to make extra sure it wasn't just a fluke (or a dream lol).

You know how when you first boot up Pro Tools, and you can see as every single plugin you own flashes by before it actually starts to load the busses and all that? It doesn't do that anymore. It just boots up in about 10 seconds, as opposed to several minutes.

And no more squealing and audio drops, no crashes, hangups or anything.

Awesome!

Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 PM

turn OFF everything.Norton security , Windows defender ,Windows updates.Any CCleaner turn off the auto setting.Screensaver ect.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:18 AM

In Windows 10 Pro you can permanently disable Windows Defender using Local Group Policy or the Registry on Windows 10 Home. Just turning it off in its settings works until you reboot. I tried it using LGP and Pro Tools does open very quickly. Didn't open nearly as quickly with Windows Defender on and all Pro Tools files and folders in the Exception Area.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-17-2018, 01:51 PM

I just opened it up, and unchecked every box until it was disabled completely. I've turned it on and off every day for two weeks and it hasn't come back on. Not sure exactly what I checked and unchecked, but it worked.

I'm still running win7 too and damned if MS about ruined my day once already back when it was forcing 10 on everyone, whether you wanted it or not. I grabbed an app that prevents the automatic installation of 10. I'm surprised they haven't found a way around it, but at least it's leaving me alone now.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:47 PM

I have win 10 Home and went thru and cannot disable the darn thing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM

I believe in Win10 you have to uninstall it. Not 100% sure, but that's what I gathered in a quick web search.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:29 AM

Even if you dont use the net, UNPLUG the ethernet/wireless......you're just asking for trouble.....if i leave mine plugged in after a download, anything happens on my network, and i hear my mac drives start clucking away......air gap anything important....
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 AM

It's a known issue: https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/28620/a...ce-executable/
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume