Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 08-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Avid

Default Re: Avid Matrix Mic Pre clicking

Yes I agree not all Mic Pres have clicks but then not all Pres are as clean as the MTRX. Having variable gain does introduce some distortion. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do (other than redesigning it a different way or introducing a lower cost card maybe).
I really don't want to get into what is right or wrong with using gain whilst recording, especially as my time recording ADR was to way back using Tascam DA88's ;-) but I would try to set a gain for the take and leave it (and I do understand the compromises)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:07 PM

Cool. I get it. That’s unfortunate as I feel that some caps or resistors could have eliminated some of the clicks post relay. However, I’m no electrical engineer. The pre card sounds good in my opinion and it’s a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. Just wish you could ride gain like you could an Avalon or Millenia. But I guess I’m digressing to an all analog world.

Thanks to all who chimed in to explain the technical constraints of the digital mic pre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2018, 08:08 PM
Avid

If I understand the issue right, its that on quiet parts you don't have enough gain for the cue sends? Its certainly not a quality issue as turning up the gain doesn't gain (haha) you anything in quality.