Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2024, 10:01 AM

Default Time Insertion that Actually Moves EVERYTHING?

I just went through an arduous time-insertion process on a session with over 100 tracks where I had to expand all folders, make sure every track was visible (because PT developers apparently don't have enough hands-on experience to know hidden tracks need to be moved as well), thought I was in the clear only to find that none of my 50+ "selection" memory locations moved. What do I need to do to have those included in the time insertion move as well?

I checked appropriate boxes to have everything included in the move (see attached).

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 12.58.08 PM.png (67.4 KB, 0 views)
2TB Internal SSD
Apple Studio Monitor, 27"
3 External Monitors: 27", 27" & 65"
Apollo X8P Mixer Interface
PreSonus 32R Mixer Interface
Old 01-08-2024, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Time Insertion that Actually Moves EVERYTHING?

There's a giant WARNING dialog in that box. Hidden tracks are not affected. This has always been the case.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
There's a giant WARNING dialog in that box. Hidden tracks are not affected. This has always been the case.

What would be better is to make it a switch or a checkbox that says" Affect Hidden Tracks?" and allow to user to decide. What possible reason could there be to skip hidden tracks without any option to include them?
Pro Tools Artist | Dell XPS 8960 | Windows 11 Home 64-bit (23H2), Intel 13th Gen i7-13700 | NVidia GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Graphics | 32GB RAM | 1TB SSD system drive | 7200 RPM internal recording drive (2TB)
Old 01-08-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0287 View Post
What would be better is to make it a switch or a checkbox that says" Affect Hidden Tracks?" and allow to user to decide. What possible reason could there be to skip hidden tracks without any option to include them?
Because they're hidden. The assumption is you don't need them. If you did, you would show them. If you want that option, show the tracks. It tells you that.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayce View Post
I just went through an arduous time-insertion process on a session with over 100 tracks where I had to expand all folders, make sure every track was visible (because PT developers apparently don't have enough hands-on experience to know hidden tracks need to be moved as well), thought I was in the clear only to find that none of my 50+ "selection" memory locations moved. What do I need to do to have those included in the time insertion move as well?

I checked appropriate boxes to have everything included in the move (see attached).

Thanks.
Yep, I've been asking for this, for 20 years now.

It's now my single biggest gripe with day-to-day use of Pro Tools, for music creation.

Please Avid, just add an option to affect *all playlists & hidden tracks*

I frequently chop & add sections to songs, & have dozens of deactivated tracks, & playlists of extra takes, that I want to stay in sync with my Time Insertion/deletion decisions.

Surely others work this way too??

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 01-08-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Because they're hidden. The assumption is you don't need them. If you did, you would show them. If you want that option, show the tracks. It tells you that.
It's this caveman mentality that keeps Pro Tools locked in the stone age. Everything you've said has added NOTHING to the conversation. What you pointed out was ALREADY in his screenshot and he was already aware of it. He's asking for the app to be better, and that is a reasonable request.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
It's this caveman mentality that keeps Pro Tools locked in the stone age. Everything you've said has added NOTHING to the conversation. What you pointed out was ALREADY in his screenshot and he was already aware of it. He's asking for the app to be better, and that is a reasonable request.
Well, aren't you friendly? Nothing in the OP's original post implies that they were aware of the warning. My post was to simply point that out and that it has been this way for quite some time. Is there room for improvement? sure. Will that happen today? No. Then what's the point of complaining about it. If you want to make a feature suggestion, use Avid Link.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:14 PM

+ 1 million

The fact that there are so many things I need to do for one edit is a bit goofy.

For a session wide edit, I currently need to do:

Shuffle mode
Include automation
Open folders
Open playlists view
Select all the tracks
Add all the rulers
Make the edit
Pray it doesn't crash

Adding one operation that takes care of everything in a logical manner would be a very useful addition. The biggest pain point for me is playlists and rulers. This is partially covered now with the "include rulers" dialog in the groups. However, it misses some things that I need to add manually.

Thanks OP for bringing this up. Hope this gets some attention.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:19 PM

Yes I'd like this feature added as well please.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:27 PM

I agree. This feature is MUCH needed! I use Routing folders all the time and my timeline edits don't happen to the tracks if that Routing Folder is not open/expanded....