Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 AM

Default Mbox 3 Pro not recognized

I've just received the Mbox 3 pro (France) but it's impossible to connect it to the Mac (not recognized). Is it necessary to use the AC adaptor with FireWire (I understood that it was not necessary with the previous generations) ? Do I really have to install it first on a PC before using it on the MAC like I read in this forum ?
If anyone can please help, it's my first Mbox and I'm more used to video equipments... it is a pity to have such a gorgeous interface and not to be able to run it !

K.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Release of Mbox 3 Pro?

The new Mbox Pro is not like the previous generation and requires the ac power from the wall, it will not be powered by firewire. Only the audio passes through firewire. This is stated in the manual.

There should be no reason you can't install the software and hook it up to your Mac. Be sure you have the current drivers installed for it, found here:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...s/Pro-Tools-HD
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The new Mbox Pro is not like the previous generation and requires the ac power from the wall, it will not be powered by firewire. Only the audio passes through firewire. This is stated in the manual.

There should be no reason you can't install the software and hook it up to your Mac. Be sure you have the current drivers installed for it, found here:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...s/Pro-Tools-HD
Thank you for the confirmation about the AC adaptator.
I downloaded the new driver for ProTools 8 LE (think I already dit it yesterday) - Anyway it's still not working.
I've also tried with the driver for Core Audio Manager to try and use with Logic but it's still not recognized.
I'm really desperate ! Went through the last 50 pages in the forum but no answer except the tip about initializing the MBox first in a PC...

K.

-------

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 Go RAM - Mac Os 10.5.8
MBox 3 Pro - ProTools 8.0.4 LE
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Avid

Post Re: Mbox 3 Pro not recognized

Please see kb383171
Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcam View Post
Thank you for the confirmation about the AC adaptator.
I downloaded the new driver for ProTools 8 LE (think I already dit it yesterday) - Anyway it's still not working.
I've also tried with the driver for Core Audio Manager to try and use with Logic but it's still not recognized.
I'm really desperate ! Went through the last 50 pages in the forum but no answer except the tip about initializing the MBox first in a PC...

K.

-------

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 Go RAM - Mac Os 10.5.8
MBox 3 Pro - ProTools 8.0.4 LE

I'm having the same problem. My Mbox 3 pro arrived yesterday with Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 bundled. I followed the instructions to the letter but when trying to start Pro Tools, after a few seconds I get "Unable to detect Avid hardware, please check your hardware is connected properly and turned on and click OK" - Well it's Firewire connected using the 9 pin to 6 pin adaptor and a 6 pin to 6 pin cable that both came with the Mbox, and turned on.

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on an iMac i3, the advice on the main Avid site seems a little confusing to me, 8.0.4 version should work fine with 10.6.4 on one page but on others many updates for the same combination seem available.

When all connected my iMac Firewire dialog in system preferences just says "Maximum speed 800 available" - It's my first Mac but I think this dialog should at least detail something connected even if it isn't working, but I don't know.

I was on to Avid phone support yesterday and the only 'try' I got was try a new 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cable to see if it works, ordered and waiting, but I read in this thread now about Drivers, HD drivers for LE ?? Even more confused.

I would clearly appreciate some definitive advice if anyone can help at all. Like madcam I'm very desperate to get going, did you resolve the problem madcam??

Thanks. Keith.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Pro not recognized

Hi there. I'm not sure if I have the answer, however, I want to throw an idea out there. I haven't tried this myself but perhaps you need a go between drive, one that converts fw800 to fw400. So set up mbox 3 into drive, then drive to MacBook pro. Would that work?!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith123 View Post
I'm having the same problem. My Mbox 3 pro arrived yesterday with Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 bundled. I followed the instructions to the letter but when trying to start Pro Tools, after a few seconds I get "Unable to detect Avid hardware, please check your hardware is connected properly and turned on and click OK" - Well it's Firewire connected using the 9 pin to 6 pin adaptor and a 6 pin to 6 pin cable that both came with the Mbox, and turned on.

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on an iMac i3, the advice on the main Avid site seems a little confusing to me, 8.0.4 version should work fine with 10.6.4 on one page but on others many updates for the same combination seem available.

When all connected my iMac Firewire dialog in system preferences just says "Maximum speed 800 available" - It's my first Mac but I think this dialog should at least detail something connected even if it isn't working, but I don't know.

I was on to Avid phone support yesterday and the only 'try' I got was try a new 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cable to see if it works, ordered and waiting, but I read in this thread now about Drivers, HD drivers for LE ?? Even more confused.

I would clearly appreciate some definitive advice if anyone can help at all. Like madcam I'm very desperate to get going, did you resolve the problem madcam??

Thanks. Keith.
Hi Keith,

so, I'm not alone with this problem...
I am still not able to connect my Mbox !
Don't think that the changing of the firewire and the adaptor will do anything : I tried with another Firewire 400 Cable / 800 Adaptator that works fine with an external drive but the problem is still here.
I have tried to connect the Mbox in another external drive in firewire then this one to the Macbook but nothing...
Currently I'm downloading MacOs 10.5.8 to upgrade an old iMac that I have with both FireWire 400 & 800 and I'm going to try and install the Mbox and ProTools Le on it to see if it works.
I will also try the suggestion of Charraig and plug the Mbox on a firewire 400 external drive that I will plug to the Macbook...
I'll keep you informed...

K.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Pro not recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCS View Post
Please see kb383171
Hi,

both links in the note you suggest are not currently working...
The Mbox 3 Pro I received came with Protools Le 8.0.4. and not 9.
I downloaded the latest driver but it's not working neither...

K.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcam View Post
Hi Keith,

so, I'm not alone with this problem...
I am still not able to connect my Mbox !
Don't think that the changing of the firewire and the adaptor will do anything : I tried with another Firewire 400 Cable / 800 Adaptator that works fine with an external drive but the problem is still here.
I have tried to connect the Mbox in another external drive in firewire then this one to the Macbook but nothing...
Currently I'm downloading MacOs 10.5.8 to upgrade an old iMac that I have with both FireWire 400 & 800 and I'm going to try and install the Mbox and ProTools Le on it to see if it works.
I will also try the suggestion of Charraig and plug the Mbox on a firewire 400 external drive that I will plug to the Macbook...
I'll keep you informed...

K.
...Please do... My iMac is just unboxed, and I've been reading in Mac forums today that Firewire ports on the new (and older) iMacs are sometimes inoperable so I'm in no hurry to blame the Mbox 3 Pro or Pro Tools. The Mac shows no sign of any hardware being connected to the Firewire port in more info so for me favorite is the adaptor, the cable, the Mac firewre port, or the Mbox firewire port, as 8.0.4 is explained as entirely at home with Snow Leopard.

Reloading software has helped in the past but I've reloaded 3 times already and got nowhere, I can't eliminate the cable until tomorrow but if a new one doesn't help I'll buy a firewire hard drive to test the Mac port is operational, if it is then I'll be back to Mbox 3 Pro/Pro Tools square one, so if technical here can't suggest any further 'tries' in the next 24 hours the Mbox will be going back to the dealer for a replacement, I'm already on my 2nd, the first one wouldn't even power up.

I'm looking around other forums for help, I'll keep you posted.

All the best, Keith.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith123 View Post
...Please do... My iMac is just unboxed, and I've been reading in Mac forums today that Firewire ports on the new (and older) iMacs are sometimes inoperable so I'm in no hurry to blame the Mbox 3 Pro or Pro Tools. The Mac shows no sign of any hardware being connected to the Firewire port in more info so for me favorite is the adaptor, the cable, the Mac firewre port, or the Mbox firewire port, as 8.0.4 is explained as entirely at home with Snow Leopard.

Reloading software has helped in the past but I've reloaded 3 times already and got nowhere, I can't eliminate the cable until tomorrow but if a new one doesn't help I'll buy a firewire hard drive to test the Mac port is operational, if it is then I'll be back to Mbox 3 Pro/Pro Tools square one, so if technical here can't suggest any further 'tries' in the next 24 hours the Mbox will be going back to the dealer for a replacement, I'm already on my 2nd, the first one wouldn't even power up.

I'm looking around other forums for help, I'll keep you posted.

All the best, Keith.
So I've just tried to install the Mbox on my 2008 iMac directly with firewire 400/400 cable and it is still not recognized : same message as in the MacBook Pro. Both the iMac and the MBP have always worked perfectly on many firewire 400 or 800 external hard drives, as well as with many video cameras using firewire. So for me it's not a firewire problem from the mac...
I will try tomorrow the idea of Charraig...
A question : when you say "the first one wouldn't even power up" do you have on the second one a light on the Power Led of the Mbox ? Because there is no light on mine but I understood that it was normal as long as it not recognized by the system...