Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Vocal track Magic Plug In?

After spending a lot of time with limiting, EQ etc. on vocal tracks I am wondering is there a wonderful plug in on the market specifically for vocals? (I have da auto tune already)

I am thinking of something like an -all in one- plug in-- that would have specific dosages of EQ Compression reverb delay etc. Where I would have to spend a lot less time wanking around with it, maybe with a frequency analyzer and a multi-band compressor component to it. A number of pre sets for commercially viable vocal tracks.

So there would be a lot less time like Leanord Nemoy "In Search Of" You know?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Vocal track Magic Plug In?

Unfortunately, there is nothing like that, (magic plug that is). Just have to experiment with it. Are you having specific problems with a vocal track?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:58 AM

I will reccomend Izotoe Ozone. Complete mastering plug-in, with lots of goodies in one package, eq, reverb, compressor, limiter, etc. The reverb isnt the best but useable.

Rossi
Old 10-05-2007, 08:17 AM

The real magic happens when you have a great performance on a great mic thru a great preamp....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-07-2007, 05:07 AM

No disrespect intended to the original poster, but -

What you are asking for is a recording engineer in a plugin. I think we're a long way out from having one of those. And thank god for that. If such a thing existed, us engineers would be out of work.

Seriously, don't get the impression I think such a thing would be bad. Working engineers aside, it's unfortunate that to create a song or other work of art requires additional humans to act as technical interfaces to get it done. In a perfect world, the artist could do the whole thing. But it's not a perfect world, and we must assist.

I don't know if you are more of an aspiring artist, or aspiring engineer. If you are on the artist side, I completely understand the request. You want to get to creating, and not fuss with stuff. If you are interested in engineering, understand that you are asking for something to do what's considered to be your job. You are the one that brings forth the expertise and experience necessary to combine what can amount to thousands of variables and end up with a professional-sounding recording. Think about the term 'professional-sounding'. Implied here is that someone has made it their 'profession' to make things sound that way. This kind of dedication (usually) results in a product that has qualities you describe. But they don't get to that point by simply dropping a magic plugin into the track that non-professionals aren't privvy to (of course, don't think for a minute professionals would refuse to use such a gizmo).

This little diatribe of mine is not meant to discourage you - quite the contrary. I firmly believe engineering can be learned through understanding the tools available, and by training your ear to recognize right from wrong. True, some folks are more gifted with the ear part before they even start. But by practicing and listening and practicing some more, you can develop your sense of hearing and knowledge of the tools you have so that you instinctively know what to tweak when. Dropping the right plugs with the right settings for a given situation will become quite easy (most of the time, at least).

But it is this knowledge and ability to hear what needs to be heard that progammer find very hard to boil down to a mathmatical equation. So until then, dig in and figure out how it all works, because the plugin you seek does not exist.

NN
Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 AM

definately with the other guys on this, microphone and mic pre make ALL the difference. my preffered at the moment is a sm7b to an adl 600 and a compressor. using a tla 50, like it though dont love it.

no magic plugins either, though ozone is nice, to much latency and not a I/O style plug, more for psuedo mastering.

do some research, learn how time base fx like delays and verbs are bussed to and dynamic based like compression and eq are inserted. there is lots to learn and no quick fix!! other than maybe sending it off for someone else to mix. i feel at the moment the best deal out there for dynamics is the ssl bundle, sounds f**n great. massey also has a KILLER compressor, the ct4. also i feel the digi eq III is completely usable and do, and the bf76 sees a lot of use. check out some psp delays and the wizoo verb or maybe the ik multimedia csr is surprisingly nice. once you get a chain you like, easy to move it to session to session on your vocals.

good luck

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 AM

Yep i agree with guitardom. Just tracked vocals with a Pearlman TM-2> Pacifica >Rosetta 200. Sounds incredible then use the SSL bundle.