Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 AM

Default is it possible to repair a wav file?

i have wav files that were recorded in pro tools (on a mac, os 10.4.8, g4 ibook). pro tools is now saying the wav files are "unreadable." not good. i have tried opening it other apps (audacity, garageband, itunes, quicktime) and each are giving different error messages. i'm guessing the file is corrupted, but it is still 240 mb in size.

is there a way to scan and repair a wav file (on a mac) or is this file too far gone?

charlie
Old 12-03-2006, 06:35 AM

Default Re: is it possible to repair a wav file?

Charlie,
It's hard to know for sure without being absolutely certain that the file was saved as "BWAV" indeed !
-Can the original session on the same computer open it ?
-was it opened and re-saved on another system/platform ?

I have almost 100% success opening questionable files in WaveLab ( PC only )
Can you give us more info..or possibly post the file somewhere so we can have a look at it ?
Could be a simple header error,a custom sample rate, and so on...

good luck,
andrew

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-03-2006, 02:40 PM

andrew-

thanks for the offer to take a look!

i have posted a zipped file at http://www.wellroundedradio.net/Archive.zip ...let me know if you're able to download + open.

the audio is of an interview i did with the drummer from flogging molly ( http://www.floggingmolly.com ) a few weeks back; the recording session itself went fine, but i just recently got a chance to listen to it, so am not sure if the original file was okay and something corrupted it while sitting on my hard drive or if there was a problem with the original recording. i backed up the files last week, but the back-up has the same problem.

the original session was recorded in pro tools and pt says "the file is unreadable," which is what was confusing me. i've had this happen with non-wav files, but not with wav files in pro tools. it was also recorded on this system/platform as well. i have read that the header might be the problem...but am hoping it's something like that since i can't repeat the interview!

let me know if wavelab lets you get at it! ; )

thanks in advance,
charlie
Old 12-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Hello there Charlie,
Got the files, unzipped them..but
None of my applications can play them. There is white noise only and a reported sample rate of 0Khz !!
There is a sizable chunk of data though, so all might not be lost.
My best recommendation is to contact Rail Jon Rogut of this very user conference. He has helped out many in similar situations..
Truly sorry, I've tried..

good luck,
andrew

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-04-2006, 04:21 PM

I was able to open both files using Adobe Audition (no studio should be without such an awesome tool).

eMail me your address and I'll drop them on a CD and send them to you. (My upload speed is WAY too slow for this size of a file.)

[email protected]

"I bent my wookie"
Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
no studio should be without such an awesome tool
Indeed..the one I don't have..
Great effort Charles !

a

2.0 and 5.1 monitoring