Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 09:28 AM

Default pull factors PAL mix laying back to 23.98 HD tape

we have a trailer mixed in PAL that is being laid back to a 23.98 HD master. i'll be saving the mix session as PAL and importing the stems into a 24 fps session.

it's the first time i've done this and i just want to make sure i have the pull factors right for sample rate conversion. i did a search through the DUC and it made me hesitant.

4% down for PAL to HD
additional .1% down for the 24 to 23.98

...slowing down for a total of 4.1%

if anyone could verify, i'd really appreciate it.

thanks in advance,
matt
Old 06-10-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: pull factors PAL mix laying back to 23.98 HD tape

I wish I had a better answer for you(I'm no expert) but I'm pretty sure the answer is "no"

If you pull down PAL by 4.1 your going to get NTSC, right?

When you import the stem from your PAL session to Film(24fps) session you'll want to pull down by 4%.

I'm not sure what the exact answer is I've never used HD23.98 (really 23.976 right)
the thing that I always find so confusing about Pull Factors is that the audio and video are runnig at different speeds. So in Film(24fps) the audio is actually record at 30fps, thus the .01%pull to get to NTSC. If you deselect "auto match pull factor" pref. in PT's you can see all avaible pull rates. That might help. What we really need is an expert to chime in here, and let us know what's uup with HD23.976.

The more I think about Pull Factors the more I get confused. Maybe this is more of a sample rate issue.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Hopefully we'll get some to post who really knows.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 06-10-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: pull factors PAL mix laying back to 23.98 HD tape

Matt-

Be careful...

There a number of scenarios that you need to watchout for.

A)Your "PAL" stems...are you certain that they are true 25Fr count/25Fr speed PAL stems? If so, then your scenario of -4%-.1% would be correct. However, if your stems are 25Frcount/ 24Fr Speed, then you are only -.1% down. This is becoming more and more common. Check your Down conversion's TC Rate and length. If it's shorter than your length on your HD master, then you have a true 25Fr speed Conversion. If they're the same or very close (Like 1 sec) then in all likelyhood you have a 25/24 conversion. D5's are capable of this with a add-on board.

As a reminder, if it's a trailer, it's short, so exoperiment and make sure. You'll definitelyknow if you're drifting. You'll be out 1.8Fr/ Minute.

-Todd A.