Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Command|8 - LOOKOUT!!!!!!

Have you guys seen this:

Digidesign Command|8

Look out Mackie!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Command|8 - LOOKOUT!!!!!!

Whoopieee
It looks like a freaking 002 that's USB...that's it!
Still no jog wheel, same midi i/o as 002, Hope both F.W. inserts work on it.... I wonder if it has 96k capability digital i/o?....a few more lights and buttons than a 002. This was made mainly for the TDM guys who have been asking for a small control surface for a long long long time.
It will be cool for 002R guys if it's under $800.00 (002R/$1295.00)---I doubt it, otherwise you might as well buy a 002---$2195.00
They could of made a software version update that would allow a 002 to run TDM software, but then I guess TDM guys would have to spend over $2100 on a 002.
Hope I don't sound too awfully.....not impressed, but.........
Maybe there's more under the hood than a 002?
I wonder what's ahead for us LE users in the next Pro Tools LE software version---7.0?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:24 PM

It's only a control surface, not an updated 002 or the like.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:43 PM

This isn't just another incarnation of the 002, it's a fully-integrated Pro Tools control surface for TDM and LE systems.

The beauty is that it isn't just a control surface, it also has a built-in Focusrite monitoring system, one thing that the Mackie Control or the like don't offer. Plus, it's a Digidesign control surface so you're gonna get fuller PT integration than you would with a third-party controller. But wait - there's more: it can also be used in standalone MIDI controller mode so you can use it to control other software!

Quote:
While there are several Pro Tools-compatible compact control surface options from third-party manufacturers, only Command|8 is made by Digidesign and Focusrite specifically for Pro Tools. As a result, Command|8 provides a great deal more sophisticated control with Pro Tools software, and has been tested and qualified specifically for Pro Tools.
I for one am very excited about this product. I have been holding off for this exact kind of thing from Digi! Now I've only got two questions: How much? How long...?

Old 03-26-2004, 10:19 PM

$1295 retail, so probably selling for the same price as the 002R.

-Duardo
Old 03-27-2004, 04:01 AM

looks like they seperated the controllers from the 002.

nice gesture,

regs
Old 03-27-2004, 05:40 PM

I am missing something? or can you just get a Mackie HUI used on eBay for way less than the retail value of this new Command 8.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I am missing something? or can you just get a Mackie HUI used on eBay for way less than the retail value of this new Command 8
Sure, that is true. And the HUI is an incredible Pro Tools controller. But what happens when your used HUI takes a dump on you? I don't believe that Mackie is supporting the HUI any longer - so you'd essentially be screwed.

I think there are many of us here that are simply excited to see that Digidesign is putting their name on an affordable controller for Pro Tools - TDM or LE flavored.

So, no, you're not missing anything at all.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
ure, that is true. And the HUI is an incredible Pro Tools controller. But what happens when your used HUI takes a dump on you? I don't believe that Mackie is supporting the HUI any longer - so you'd essentially be screwed.
According to Mackie not only are they making parts for the HUI but brand new units as well. Although the backside is the HUI will never be any better than it is. Mackie has no plans (so far) to update the HUI.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:33 AM

Quote:

According to Mackie not only are they making parts for the HUI but brand new units as well. Although the backside is the HUI will never be any better than it is. Mackie has no plans (so far) to update the HUI.
ihate to tell you this but Mackie is NOT making anymore HUI's and is NOT supporting them in the furture. the HUI is Mackie's 001 now.

ken;