Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 11:52 AM

Default DVToolkit for LE

Does anyone else feel that this is a rip off? Come on... $999 US? Not to say that "Logic" is better, but SMPTE functions are included with Logic Express for $299 US. Why is Digi still holding onto this feature for so expensive? I could use this feature badly, but I'm definately not willing to shell up $999 clams for it.

Maybe its because Digidesign want's to keep the prestige alive for their TDM systems. But, you know, I'm still going to invest in a TDM system as it is later. Even if LE had free SMPTE functions, TDM still has major appeal to me. 32 voices just isn't enough for me. It works. But, all and all, having the expandiblity to go to 64, 86, 92, 128 or whatever voices is priceless. LE just can't hold to those standards. Plus there's TDM plugins, 5.1 surround, etc. Why would I stick to LE while that is still out there?

So Digi... Let go of the DVToolkit and give every registered user the SMPTE function that should be included with LE as part of the package! Other manufacturers have been doing it. Even you guys have done it before (version 3). I don't want to have to rely on other software companies (MOTU, Emagic, Steinberg, etc) for the feature I should be entitled to from you guys!

Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 03-19-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: DVToolkit for LE

I agree that it is expensive, but is it even necessary to have? My partner and I score major motion pictures on our LE systems (Mirimax, MGM) and don't have the DV toolkit, and it doesn't hinder us at all. The reels we get have burned in timecode on them so it's very easy to see where we are in the scene and to spot music to exact parts of the movie. Using Timecode in a sequencer is totally stone age as far as I'm concerned, but I'm sure there are other applications where it might still be necessary.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:35 PM

i view this a one of the few drawbacks of the LE system, (also no word clock 002r)(no (none) multichannel surround)

I think digi's claim on this is "sample rate accuracy"., but you got to figure they are owned by avid, (marketShareTheme) and they also serve the pc market. The avid thing plays heavy i fear.

I think it is also nice to be able to see timecode rulers , not neccessarily only when viewing, quicktime footage.

i seriously contemplate spending the money, but I blew the plug demo timeline, by accidentially installing it when I got the 002 last sept. Digi says there is no way to reset this as it is on the ilok, so its now really hard to purchase with no test period.

The logic and logic pro ideas sound interesting, surround, timecode? , but you got to get all your plugs in both formats...i am interested to hear how people get this working.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:24 PM

I own it, and it is a HUGE RIPOFF!!!

I'm very disapointed in what I got for $900+
I had a major job to do on a movie and thought the DV toolkit would really help?????????????????????????? What? I really DO want my money back on this! It's absurd that Digidesign would charge so much for this "Upgrade" for LE.

Digitranslator: is very picky about what it likes and dislikes and in the end turned out to be UNUSABLE!! you're better off using the FREE OMF TOOL in OS9 or just export your audio out of the Video editor and import it into Protools as AIFF or whatever. (much better)
Vocalign: is somewhat useful but can destroy the audio too with artifacts, so use it at your own risk! Even dialog that was almost spot on was messed up with Vocalign. (sometimes usefull but not as advertised)
Timecode??? it doesn't even save the settings?? POOR! (and should be standard)
DINR: don't waste your time. Unless you like underwater garbage! I've tryed and tryed again to get good results with DINR...but to no avail. It simply doesn't work right at all. (and I lost a bunch of time fooling around with it)

I just don't know what to do? I feel they tricked me into thinking I would need this POS. But I really didn't. ADR without it would have worked just as well.

I feel misled by the advertisment, and the power it promised is puney to say the least. Protools has served me well but I feel that DV toolkit is the "single largest mistake" I've ever made finacialy for my studio. It put me back $1000 and for what? it should cost $100 at the most!

I hope no one else makes the same mistake I made.

DIGIDESIGN? Will you please take this POS back and exchange it and my 001 for a 002r. That would shut me up, otherwise untill you give me an insentive to hold onto DV tookit (like include a surround plugin or something useful for the money) I'll take every oportunity to discourage anyone from purchasing DV TOOLKIT.

In my eyes, I cannot trust Digi's advertising anymore.
This is a ploy to make MONEY off users who trust Digidesign products. But I'll only make that mistake once. Garenteed!!!

Be warned people, it's not worth the MONEY at ALL -$$$$$$$

I'm so angry at myself for blowing cash like that. it's irresponsible and unnessesary. I just keep kicking myself, and you know what, I don't think Digidesign is going to care in the least. But if they have an ounce of decency, they will respond to those who feel "RIPPED OFF" by the purchase of DV Toolkit. This is below them indeed!

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 03-19-2004, 02:33 PM

Burn ins do help with Foley, SFX, BGs, scoring, etc...

But, for the sake of a standard format... so that "everyone" can be in proper sync through 29.97 Drop or Non-drop or whatever. SMPTE is still needed. Especially, since we, the audio engineers, aren't the only ones reading the spotting notes. SMPTE still probably isn't needed so much with audio. I can manage without it. But when I do need it, I'd like to have the "free" option to ease my, and everyone else's minds. And we shouldn't have to pay $999 for it! It's a horrible thing to have to contemplate purchasing for using only a few times.

Digidesign needs to simply get with the times and include DVtoolkit with LE. Along with that, fix the word clock problem that 60% of Digi's customers want (and are extremely irritated about). Plus, on a side note, improve their MIDI functions!!! Pro Tools 7, let's hope.
Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 03-20-2004, 12:21 PM

Probably on Pro Tools 7, I imagine. I'm hoping that the software (and maybe hardware too) will be a far cry better than it has been.

Be competitive Digi! Give people the SMPTE ruler option as part of the LE deal!

Dynaudio BM5a Monitors
--------------------
Mac OS X 10.4.10
PT|LE 7.3.1cs4
CoreAudio 7
Old 03-29-2004, 05:53 PM

I thought I was being cautious when I bought one of the Video options, but I'm disappointed too. After trying DINR and hearing how it butchers sound and not really needing VocAlign, I bought only the Digitranslator. What did I get? I don't know. I guess it can import and export some OMF files but by the time Digidesign coughed up a copy for me, it was way too late for the project I was working on.

I looked forward to at least using the Foot/Frames or SMPTE counter but they are not there! What gives? I thought the DVToolkit consisted of the Digitranslator, DINR and VocAlign. Do I need yet another expensive "upgrade" just to get these counter options?

I agree with the comments made about Apple creating the killer app that will do to ProTools what Final Cut has done to Avid. Digidesign/Avid has got to get it together before they become complete dinosaurs.

They could start by listening to their customers, you know, like answering the phone once in a while. Its nice of them to provide the cute little Graemlins for this forum but it would be even nicer if they did something to address the issues of a lot of really pissed off customers. Or how about releasing an upgrade that actually works without having to read pages and pages of compatibility issues. There should be no issues.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
UAD Volt 476
Old 03-30-2004, 06:10 AM

hey Slim Shady

can you give me a rundown on how you use this setup
i will be doing the same in my neck of the woods and honestly
can't see myself buying an HD system just because of these shortcomings.

thanks for your help
regards,
Charles
Old 03-30-2004, 10:21 AM

That's what I'd like to know. I have converted a few OMF files back and forth. It just a file converter as far as I can tell. I haven't used it on a project yet because it arrived too late for my current project. I was hoping to at least use the film related counters but they don't show up. I just synced the sound manually. So, I have paid hundreds of dollars for a tiny plastic chip that doesn't really do anything for me. I've submitted a question about this to Digi support but I don't expect they'll ever answer me.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
UAD Volt 476
Old 03-30-2004, 04:28 PM

as much as I agree with DV toolkit being a rip-off, I can't see myself working without a SMTPE track. when I make my QT files they sometimes drop frames without me knowing. The only way I catch it is when I put it up on the timeline and notice a discrepency when I cut. This might not be a big deal with some people, but when you work in a high output enviroment slipping the QT track becomes a useful option. so although I agree with the price being way out of wack, this is a business and businesses have expenses and when I'm getting away with sepending 10K on a system instead of 30 without quality loss in the final product, $999 is a drop in the bucket.

PS as for digitraslator you'll know why you paid so much for it then it comes to a quick way to do standards conversion... what's your time worth?