Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2019, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Protools 2019.12 Catalina Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Ok I restarted, removed the external speaker from the headphone port incase there's a problem with the port physically, I changed the output device in Pro Tools to "MacBook pro internal speakers"..

Worked perfectly for around 50 seconds this time.. then

"pro tools can not communicate with MacBook pro internal speakers".

So it can't use those OR the headphone port?

Such a shame....

FWIW.. I was even able to play Jupiter 8 (arturia), all voices being used, I made sure of it with 8 note chords, and a fab filter reverb on the channel. The fab filter reverb made all the cores spike but using just a synth on it's own at 32 buffer is fixed. The thing is, I had turbo disabled on the MacBook, so it's only running at 2.4ghz!
I duplicated this track, WITH the reverb, 4 times, and the usage didn't change./ Pro tools is properly multithreading armed VI tracks at 32 buffer.. HUGE change.

The reverb causing all that spiking makes me wonder how it would do native monitoring with effects though, like, external channels I mean.. using PT as a native mixer instead of an outboard mixer. Still.. the best by far of any PT I have ever used. Except I can't use it! LOL!
Dude, if you cannot get your Work Done in under a Minute !!! time for a new Career !!! what i am reading about Catalina and PT is making me feel good i am never upgrading again .. so far !!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-18-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Not impressed. They just got rid of the 32 bit stuff. Replacing them is still in the works. People working in post gotta wait or use workarounds. Is that a fair summary?
How is that their fault?

Catalina will not accept the existence of any 32 bit code. What were they suppose to do to at least get it working for us quickly?
Old 12-18-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
Dude, if you cannot get your Work Done in under a Minute !!! time for a new Career !!! what i am reading about Catalina and PT is making me feel good i am never upgrading again .. so far !!
There's a workaround in the meantime.

The problem is the internal microphone.. maybe cause I have siri enabled, I don't know.. I have zero plans of disabling siri especially with my back it saves me having to get up reach for the keyboard all the time when I need some simple things done.

Anyway...

You won't be able to record with the MacBook pro's internal microphone so if you are doing podcasts on the road you are out of luck without an external mic.

But, if you open audio midi and the aggregate device and disable both the internal mic and MacBook speakers, so only the headphone out is enabled, it seems to be working.. so for playback and VI use at the moment, that's the workaround.. You then need to go back into PT and of course choose aggregate again as the device.. I was choosing the other devices cause aggregate was causing the crash.. But just choosing headphone out or internal speakers won't fix it, you need to disable the internal mic at least in the aggregate.. it seems that's what's causing the conflict..

So now of course I would love to hear from other Catalina users with a MacBook 16", to see if they have to do the same thing.

if not. perhaps my internal mic has an issue.. the only reason i say this is because after all this happened, when i opened my system preferences and went to audio "input", the external microphone started disappearing altogether then reappearing, as in, "flashing" on and off. However of course this only ever happened once PT was installed and I don't believe in coincidences like that, as i have been using my internal mic since day one with logic.

That said, I do know Apple used to disable the internal mic when the headphone jack was used on the 2014/15/16 MacBooks, and now they allow it.. so it could be some sort of tiny connector or switch in mine when the speaker is plugged in to the headphone out that has a fault.. The only way I'll know is if someone else can try it for me (for more than a minute LOL) before my 2 week return period is up.. They will just replace it with a brand new one if it's faulty. I seem to have gotten one on the lower end of the sale in the cpu bin lottery, the reason why I chose the 9980HK was to have a chance to get the best, as my DSP tests using the Logic benchmark is around 5 percent behind a couple others running the standardised test.. yet.. i wasn't going to worry about it cause I have really great temps and a very gentle fan curve.. the thing never gets noisy.. but if there is a physical fault internally with the headphone out I have to swap it and install ALL my apps again.. sigh...

It doesn't explain why it did it when the MacBook pro internal speakers were chosen in PT as the interface, considering that means the internal mic wouldn't have worked anyway cause that's an "output" only.. That's the whole point of the aggregate I/O.. because PT can not use different interfaces for it's in and out, it creates the aggregate i/o to wrap the internal mic and both the internal speakers and headphone outs into one device that can be selected in preferences. it makes no sense that this crash would happen when either just the headphone out or the internal speakers were forcibly chosen in PT..

But since disabling the internal mic in the aggregate has fixed it, well, there's some unknown factor at play for sure and I have no clue if it's PT (likely) or if I have a fault brand new laptop (less likely I think).

Edit... I just realised my first error message was that another app changed the configuration of the IO..
then in subsequent rounds the error became that pro tools could not communicate with the I/O.

It really sounds like a PT issue here..

If it wasn't, how could i constantly be watching movies, using siri, and had not a single issue with the very same on board devices in Logic?
Old 12-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Working great here on MacBook Pro 16". Running a small(ish) post production session (with MXF OP Atom video). Playback is working even with buffer size 32(!). Fans are staying under 3000-3200rpm. I do have Turbo boost switcher set to OFF. But this is first time I can run PT with my mixer settings at buffer size 32. Hour of testing/editing. No crashes, no errors. Nice.
Now back to my Trashcan and Mojave. :)
Old 12-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
Working great here on MacBook Pro 16". Running a small(ish) post production session (with MXF OP Atom video). Playback is working even with buffer size 32(!). Fans are staying under 3000-3200rpm. I do have Turbo boost switcher set to OFF. But this is first time I can run PT with my mixer settings at buffer size 32. Hour of testing/editing. No crashes, no errors. Nice.
Now back to my Trashcan and Mojave. :)
Ok you are using the internal sound? Then mine is faulty, I better return it ASAP. Thank you.

PS you're just using the default aggregate device which wraps the headphone out with the internal mic?
Old 12-18-2019, 01:11 PM

Pro Tools Aggregate yes. Didn't try it with external card etc. Just a quick test.
EDIT: Did a test and changed PT Playback engine to External Headphones (not sure what it's called in English OS). Seems to work. Also
internal speakers options is working.

Last edited by P_J; 12-18-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J View Post
Internal sound output, Pro Tools Aggregate yes. Didn't try it with external card etc. Just a quick test.
Ok mine worked for a couple minutes the first time before the error message.. The first thing I ddid was test buffer 32 as well and realise how much better performance is. The time before it conks out is random..

I'm going to try now with siri disabled to see if that was the issue then.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:37 PM

wow now I am getting the hardware device is at a different sample rate from the open session.. WTF?
Old 12-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
How is that their fault?

Catalina will not accept the existence of any 32 bit code. What were they suppose to do to at least get it working for us quickly?
Apple has been broadcasting to developers that they would be dropping support for 32bit code for years.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Ok so I set the system to MacBook pro internal speakers, system sounds etc.

And I set pro tools to the external headphone socket (that's how it comes up).

Smooth sailing for a few minutes, then, "pro tools can not communicate with the external headphone socket".. had to save and quit.

Do these people actually TEST the app they release for more than a few seconds? I mean this is irritating now. This is the most basic fundamental stuff.

Obviously the socket is just fine as I have watched movies galore since I had the computer, plugged into the IK loud through the built in external output of the MacBook, and I have used logic A LOT with zero issue.

What uselessness and annoyance.
Did you install 2019.12 in a new Macbook pro 16" with catalina or an older 15" with catalina? For what i read on avid site MB pro 16" isn't still supported with this PT update, it's not on the supported devices list.