Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 AM

Default Time Machine w/PT?

is there any reason why i would need to disable Time Machine on my intel imac on which i run PT 9? also- i just updated to Snow Leopard and PT9. do i still have to disable Spotlight w/these new versions?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Time Machine w/PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven O'Neill View Post
is there any reason why i would need to disable Time Machine on my intel imac on which i run PT 9? also- i just updated to Snow Leopard and PT9. do i still have to disable Spotlight w/these new versions?

I think Time Machine is sort of useless, or rather not the total backup I can rely on for my studio.
I used to use it, but heard from one of my mac guru guys that you can't always rely on it to use it as a boot drive it the HD on your mac fails. That's a concern for me. I switched to Super Duper as a backup format and always back up my sessions to another drive on my system every few hours in addition to the internal audio drives where they reside. I am not saying Time Machine is bad, but have heard the HD they have sometimes fail after a couple of years for some reason, so I am not going to rely on that for my ultimate BU systems. I think Super Duper is great, because it will update your internal HD on a schedule, whenever that is and once it's done the complete copy of the internal HD, which Time Machine does not totally get all of the hidden files, Super Duper creates a TRUE working clone of the OS drive.. Very cool program and a full functional version for under $30.00 A free version will work too forever, but without the option to NOT completely start from scratch on the BU every time you use the app.

Hope this helps.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM

thanks G. it was never my intention to solely rely on it for my backups. i've got multiple external drives for that as i have reservations about backup "services". i just figured i'd run it as long as it wouldn't cause any issues w/PT. one can't have enough backups, right?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Avid

Post Re: Time Machine w/PT?

kb349739 still applies for Time Machine and Spotlight in Lion. We'll update the KB soon.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM

that answers everything, thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Hi, I notice that the AVID support page for Mountain Lion OSX 8 optimisations does not contain the same advice about refraining from running time machine on the same drive as you record to on pro tools (the optimisation page for snow leopard says that time machine should be disabled). Is Avid now saying that time machine can be run on the same drive?

Current optimisations page for mountain lion can be found here - http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oductCategory=