How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2009, 02:26 AM

Default One for the Feature List: Fader Hold

Hey All,

I have an idea for a feature that could be very useful. I use a profile surface regularly and often with high channel counts. So i'm changing banks a lot.

Currently, as far as i can tell, if im holding a fader when i change banks, it has no effect, changes to the 'OFF' state and when i let go it snaps to the new bank.

What could be cooler - maybe as an option in the interaction tab - is to enable fader hold (pick a more appropriate name!) which basically means that if you grab a fader and then bank change, you keep controlling the channel until you let go, at which point it snaps to the new bank.

So, im in bank A, holding channel 9. i switch to bank B (so ch9 is now ch33). i am still controlling ch9 until i let go of the fader, then it snaps to ch33.

Thoughts?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Re: One for the Feature List: Fader Hold

An automatic Bank Safe type of thing like that would be very cool especially on the Profile where you don't have the individual Safe button per channel. I'd use that on the D-Show, too, though.

Does it automatically turn off when you bank again if you don't have your finger on it, or do you end up with a permanent Bank Safe on the channel?

Dave
Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 AM

in my mind - its not so much a bank safe, but a delay for the bank changing. so as soon as you remove your finger from the fader, the bank will change, and normal behavior will continue. it really just prevents you from losing control of a channel because of a badly timed bank switch.

However, if this is a menu option in the interaction tab, we could have multiple options for that behavior:
first option would be as above
second option would be to apply a bank safe until you return to that channels bank, at which point it would be removed
Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM

I'm not sure if this is a similar issue to what is being discussed here, but it's one that has bitten me a couple of times...

The way our console is setup I make quite a bit of use out of the "selected channel" fader. I like to use it to hold on to our Worship Leader while having the rest of the team on a VCA to have easier control of the ratio of Leader-to-Team. I really like the way it works for me...

The problem is that when I have a particular channel selected and select another channel (this also can occur on a bank change), and the fader jumps to that channels level, occasionally it touches my finger, or my finger is in the way, and whatever the case may be the level of the selected channel changes, and most often to a lower level. It happened this weekend and it simply grazed my finger, but because of the faders conductive properties, the console knew it touched me and just stopped. It dropped our Worship Leader's fader level to near -inf.

I'm trying to think of ways this can be remedied... Obviously I can just be more careful as to where my hands are located, but I'd rather focus on the mix...

Perhaps the "conductive properties" of the fader/s can be suspended during a bank change (or change of the selected channel). Perhaps, the faders could be told that when a bank change is initiated all faders must make it to their "destination level" before they effect audio. I don't know all the programming that would have to take place for something like that, or whatever modifications would need to be made. Maybe something is in the works already... In any case, I thought I'd mention it, since it has happened on multiple occasions... But if I'm the only one it's happening to, then I suppose I should just change my ways...

Please discuss, as I'm interested to others thoughts...

Jason Stygar
Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM

Hi Jason,

There is a check box that can turn off the autoselect for channels. I believe it is in the interaction tab. With it off you have to push the select button for the channel in order to target it. I don't function well with autoselect. Just a thought.
nicolas
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM

Nicholas...

Thanks for the reply... We do have that option deselected. It's a little bit of a different issue. When I press the "Select" button on a channel and the selected channel fader jumps, on it's way to whatever level the channel I've selected is, if it hits my hand it stops and the selected channel is immediately and abruptly changed to that level...

For instance. I'm checking a few things on a channel that's at -inf because I'm going to need to bring it up soon and I want to verify some settings... When I go back to select my Worship Leader whos fader is at 0dB, if the fader hits my hand at -20dB on it's way up to 0dB, the Worship Leaders level will immediately drop to -20dB.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Sounds like a case of diciplining yourself not to touch the board when you change banks.

Regards

Roland
Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 AM

Hi Jason,

You should have mentioned that you are using a D-Show Main surface. The Profile does not have a level fader in the "assignable channel section". I think that most people (I haven't checked this) have Profiles.