Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-12-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Waves SSL oh my god (Not just another waves post)

Hi,

Sorry to start another waves SSL post, but i just had to post my experience with the demo! Lets stay on topic and don't mention the W word

The EQ is just f...... amazing, i had a big fat punchy kik drum sound in seconds and lovely round creamy snare sound in no time at all. I love the way you can push the gain like crazy and the level stays almost constant, it is just so intuitive and fast to use, the best EQ plugin i've experienced!

Accel chip = 16 mono. non accel = 8 mono. I had 50 rtas on 2gig dual G5 with the meter half way!!

The compressor is again intuitive and easy to use, it can be driven hard and still sounds natural, unlike Impact that doesn't like it hard and struggles on transient peaks. i tried this on my drum bus and i could get the kit smashing up the place but still sound usuable in the mix, and it sounded warm and creamy like a valve compressor.

Accel chip = 4 stereo. RTAS probably about 20 stereo

The E-channel is everything you would expect from the SSL name, the EQ is similar to the EQ strip only 15db cut/boost instead of 20 and no x3 function, but the same easy to use and great sounding EQ. the dynamics sections again is quick and easy to use and i got good results easily, the expander is very smooth and probably the best i have heard on any plug, the compressor was good but not really going to replace my Sony dynamics for when things need that something extra. but overall a great all in one! i personally still want to try the new Eventide channel strip in the anthology II.

Accel chip 5 mono. non accel = 2 mono. RTAS probably about 25 mono 2gig dual G5

I'll buy the bundle and sell some of my other plugs i think!

Funny thing? half way through testing they started to instantiate on the core card instead of the accel card that they started on

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Waves SSL oh my god (Not just another waves post)

Hey Chris. How do you rate it against say McDSP channel G. I often use separate eq and dynamics plugs, [lots of Sony and URS] but I do like having a good channel strip style plug. Its quicker sometimes and I like the way the Channel G works

PB
Old 02-12-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Chris. How do you rate it against say McDSP channel G. I often use separate eq and dynamics plugs, [lots of Sony and URS] but I do like having a good channel strip style plug. Its quicker sometimes and I like the way the Channel G works

PB
Hi,

I have to say the EQ floors everything, period. Waves have gone to the next level with this EQ, and the whole bundle. The channel strip is better than McDsp chanel G as a whole, but chanel G has a more versatile gate and compressor.

I've not been a big fan of all in one channel strips, but i have just used waves E-channel on a bass guitar track and got a wicked sound in 3-4 minutes. I wish i could place the dynamics in front of the EQ section though!

There's still a place for other comps and EQ's? i love what URS vintage comps can do to dynamic accoustic parts, and love the dynamics of Sony on drums, but this SSL EQ is going to be THE benchmark for EQ.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:46 PM

I agree. Best plugin EQ I've ever used......
I'm also not a fan of channel strip type plugs usually, but this one rocks (best plug in gate/expander available IMO).
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-12-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I agree. Best plugin EQ I've ever used......
I'm also not a fan of channel strip type plugs usually, but this one rocks (best plug in gate/expander available IMO).
Hi,

Yes, Jon, Peter, We Brits have to fly the flag occasionally SSL EQ rocks! Like Concorde did? against those big fat slow Jumbos!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 02-12-2006, 03:55 PM

I must say I'm a little surprised at the response these have gotten. I've spent almost two decades using SSL consoles (G and E series primarily), and in my experience the EQ has always been a relative weak spot. Harsh, un-subtle, and non-musical in many cases. Though I haven't used the new plug-in, this would be one case where I'd hope it DOESN'T sound like the real thing. Personal preference.

Not saying you're wrong for liking them -- just that I never have. I do rather like the SSL G channel dynamics though, for a certain type of drum sound. The quad compressor I could always live with or without, to be honest.

-Ben B
Old 02-12-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I must say I'm a little surprised at the response these have gotten. I've spent almost two decades using SSL consoles (G and E series primarily), and in my experience the EQ has always been a relative weak spot. Harsh, un-subtle, and non-musical in many cases. Though I haven't used the new plug-in, this would be one case where I'd hope it DOESN'T sound like the real thing. Personal preference.

Not saying you're wrong for liking them -- just that I never have. I do rather like the SSL G channel dynamics though, for a certain type of drum sound. The quad compressor I could always live with or without, to be honest.

-Ben B
Hi Ben,

It's been 10 years since i was working on SSL, so i can't really say if its close to the original or not, but i can hear the same thing i heard when i was working on SSL.. tight punchy fat clean defined.

I too have met engineers who by-pass the SSL EQ and opt for outboard occasionally!! but far too
many stunning records have been EQ'd on SSL E series. Its not going to be every EQ for every occasion and that's why top engineers have an arsenal of esoteric outboard. I'll still be using URS, Waves LIN, MDW etc when i think they're right for the task, but i'll be using the waves SSL for most situations from now on.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 02-12-2006, 05:02 PM

the idea that we all can have a "console" comprised from chanels of our old favorite consoles is a fantasy.
for years i had a Trident console, after 10 years of that sound (as great as it was) i was ready for a change......... change & experimentation is the nature of creative people, don't let rationale kill your true creative spirit.

i love the SSL J series, but maybe after 10 years on it, i might like to use something else......... thats what is so amazing about these plug ins. for under a grand, i can use a SSL E/G for a while. Who'd a dreamed it could happen so soon in our live's of recording.

and look......... a waves post with NO BASHING so far..... miracles can happen!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Waves SSL oh my god (Not just another waves p

You can place the dynamics in front of the EQ. I think it's the "Dyn" button that you push on the EQ side of the plug and that will do it.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Waves SSL oh my god (Not just another waves p

Quote:
You can place the dynamics in front of the EQ. I think it's the "Dyn" button that you push on the EQ side of the plug and that will do it.
Hi,

I tried that, and it sounded like the EQ was still effecting the compressor? anyway i just checked the details and it says you can, so i'll check again tomorrow.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com