Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-26-2016, 01:22 PM

Default Time sensitive if anyone has a moment and can help...

I am on deadline to mix a movie for a friend...this is not my main area of expertise - I am a mastering engineer by trade.

I have done this in the past but have always been given the correct files from experienced people and this director-friend doesn't have experience exporting with deep knowledge, and this is made worse since I am not sure how to direct her since I upgraded to PT 12HD.

She is working in Premiere. Can someone tell me the best way to export her movie, and then, how best to get it and the audio into PT12HD so I can work on it? I am moving out of the country on Tuesday and hope to begin mixing her short tomorrow.

Big thanks for your help.

Best,
Josh
Old 10-26-2016, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Time sensitive if anyone has a moment and can help...

A turnover from picture to sound is a pretty complicated process and a lot of things can go wrong, especially with Premiere. As for the video, the best codec for you to get from Premiere will probably be ProRes 422 LT. They'll need to do an AAF export for the timeline audio but there are a lot of ways that can go wrong too. Make sure there's a timecode burn-in on the video and that the frame rate of it is the same as the actual video's frame rate. First frame of action should be at 1 hour 8 seconds, with a single frame pop of -20dB tone at 1 hour 6 seconds with a visual cue frame to match with it. Video should start at 1 hour. Get them to provide an audio guide track along with the video, dialog panned hard left, music and effects hard right. Said audio can be embedded in the video or not, either way is fine. When you import the AAF tracks into Pro Tools, check their sync against the guide track. Sometimes fades and crossfades in the AAF can mess up sync, so if it's out of sync, they may need to make you a version of the AAF without the fades. Make sure your Pro Tools session setup is set to the frame rate of the film, which should be 23.98 or 24. Your video track will show the frame rate number in dark red if there is a discrepancy here.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 PM

Maybe this can help, it has a link to a PDF I send to Premiere editors:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2389505

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 10-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. The solution was to make new files and export AAF vs OMF. All good and flying here. You both were very helpful in getting the ball rolling so thank you for your time!

:)
Old 10-30-2016, 11:35 AM

Glad to hear it - yeah, Adobe Premiere is currently frustrating when it comes to sound delivery, but at least there is a pathway to getting the basics.

System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
Glad to hear it - yeah, Adobe Premiere is currently frustrating when it comes to sound delivery, but at least there is a pathway to getting the basics.

Weird, I work in Premiere Pro all the time and export audio using AAF without any problems at all. Once big bonus is it can reference the original audio and therefore keeps the timecode, critical if using the multitrack field recorder workflow. OMF makes this impossible.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Weird, I work in Premiere Pro all the time and export audio using AAF without any problems at all. Once big bonus is it can reference the original audio and therefore keeps the timecode, critical if using the multitrack field recorder workflow. OMF makes this impossible.
Hi Tom,

What I do like is that Premiere has moved forward from the early days. Many editors moved to Premiere after FCPX first came out, and we began receiving more AAFs from Premiere (as well as Avid Media Composer), which rarely worked correctly in the beginning.

The problem we have encountered most recently with Premiere AAFs in Pro Tools is that the Premiere export changes the audio clip filenames - I don't remember exactly at this moment, but I believe the names were all based on the first video clip's name.

For most projects, this perhaps obviously made organizing extremely difficult.

What version of Premiere Pro are you using, and have you heard this complaint at all? I'd be very interested if there has been an update that addresses this particular issue. It would make a big difference.
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 10-30-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
Hi Tom,

What I do like is that Premiere has moved forward from the early days. Many editors moved to Premiere after FCPX first came out, and we began receiving more AAFs from Premiere (as well as Avid Media Composer), which rarely worked correctly in the beginning.

The problem we have encountered most recently with Premiere AAFs in Pro Tools is that the Premiere export changes the audio clip filenames - I don't remember exactly at this moment, but I believe the names were all based on the first video clip's name.

For most projects, this perhaps obviously made organizing extremely difficult.

What version of Premiere Pro are you using, and have you heard this complaint at all? I'd be very interested if there has been an update that addresses this particular issue. It would make a big difference.

I always use the latest version of Premiere Pro, it's mostly taking XMLs from other software and I export the AAF myself. If the editor is using PPro themselves, I guide them through the process. Might be an extra bit of time compared to letting the editor do it, but I always find it worthwhile as it saves problems further down the line, and I charge this to the client, which ultimately saves them money too. I've heard all the arguments saying this is the editors job, not ours, but ultimately if I understand it better than the editor, I am happy to charge for this!

Back in the CS6 days there were lots of problems, since CC 2014 or so though it's been fine. I have noticed the file names being changed, but honestly it doesn't bother me. Having the metadata (namely timecode) from the original location audio is the real benefit of AAF over OMF, so any other niggles are worth ignoring for me. That said I mainly work on short-form content which makes this more manageable.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I always use the latest version of Premiere Pro, it's mostly taking XMLs from other software and I export the AAF myself. If the editor is using PPro themselves, I guide them through the process. Might be an extra bit of time compared to letting the editor do it, but I always find it worthwhile as it saves problems further down the line, and I charge this to the client, which ultimately saves them money too. I've heard all the arguments saying this is the editors job, not ours, but ultimately if I understand it better than the editor, I am happy to charge for this!

Back in the CS6 days there were lots of problems, since CC 2014 or so though it's been fine. I have noticed the file names being changed, but honestly it doesn't bother me. Having the metadata (namely timecode) from the original location audio is the real benefit of AAF over OMF, so any other niggles are worth ignoring for me. That said I mainly work on short-form content which makes this more manageable.
That makes sense to me, without a doubt. The depth of tracks in a Project, as well as an individual editor's ability to organize (and experience in general) - not to mention software version - are all a part of determining the best route.

I definitely appreciate your diving into and learning the ins and outs of other software - knowing and being able to explain how to deliver can save a ton of time. Or in your case, making a little extra dough doing it yourself!
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits