Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Best Video Card for PT?

Hey Gang!

I was hoping everyone would share their thoughts on the best "On Board" video solution for PT. We have been using AVXL for years and alas it's time to move on. We would like to keep the workflow integrated in PT so we are trying to avoid a VVTR. We are willing to buy a new Mac if that's what it takes to gain compatibility with the best video solution, and we MIGHT even be willing to switch to PC ... but I hope not to.

A lot of guys seem to use the Fuse X, but I wonder if a $500 card really offers a robust enough solution... and of course no HD.

A lot of my video clients use the AJA cards (Kona) with Final Cut, but I've not heard of anyone using them with PT on the same PCI bus.

The other card is the decklink. That seems to be the best option offering SD and HD, also very cheap. Anyone running one of these “on board”?

Anyone using “on board” PCIe cards?

Lastly, as I've been ease dropping on this board for a few weeks it seems a though hardly anyone is using the V10.... True?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice gang.

Mike George
Old 04-18-2006, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Best Video Card for PT?

I'm gettung ready to make a jump as well and this is what I've heard.
The HD cards are so intensive that it's going to bog down the computer. That's why people are using the VTR.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 AM

I know you want an on board solution, but I'd say to maybe take a look at the Bonsai Drive.

I just installed one for a composer client of mine and it is simply superb, apart from the fact you have to play your source video into it in realtime. He works on shows of 60 and 90 minutes so the load time is a slight PITA. Other than that its very impresive.

Incedently I used to use the older Fuse card under OS9, and it worked really well: I was not pleased tho when they chose not to write drivers for OS X. The Fuse X is probably a good card, but how well it will play with a big HD rig I dont know. Will you need an expansion chassis too?

PB
Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
A lot of my video clients use the AJA cards (Kona) with Final Cut, but I've not heard of anyone using them with PT on the same PCI bus.

The other card is the decklink. That seems to be the best option offering SD and HD, also very cheap. Anyone running one of these “on board”?
mike,

you may have problems with these cards in PT. you have to check with AJA and DECKLINK and DIGI to see if they will work 'on board". here's why:

most cards require some kind of Video-Out (V-Out) implementation. in many applications, it is provided through Quicktime, such as VVTR, FCP, AfterEffects, Combustion, and other "video-specific" applications. that is why these cards work for your clients.

another class of application supports QuickTime output only via Firewire. Examples are ProTools, Nuendo, Digital Performer.

if i am not mistaken, the current class of Decklink (and i think AJA) cards do not play on board in PT.

i think your eves dropping has told you right about the diminishing use of V-10.

why not hang on to your old computer and use VVTR?

do you need HD? as someone pointed out, the data rate needed will make it hard to use on one computer if you are running big sessions. the FUSE-X seems plenty robust. (and yes, it was a drag when aurora dropped it for the igniter and then dropped that for a new version of the FUSE. but, the old fuse was $400, the igniter $1000 and the new Fuse $500. not bad for hardware upgrades)

and why not a bonsai? lots of reasons to do that too. like VVTR, it takes processing off your PT rig.

why not MoJo? it integrates into PT. designed to work in an AVID workflow.

if you need HD, you will need VVTR or some other "out board" solution. i don't remember if Bonsai supports HD.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 AM

I'm using the Mojo, and while it does have a couple of things I'm not happy with (i.e. the ability to play quicktime movies out), I can convert them using Media Station and that has worked just fine. Hopefully Digi will have a solution for this soon.

As far as HD goes, the newer Avids can export an SD version of their HD cuts at 16x9 Letterboxed which will play in the Mojo and at the correct framerate. Do you really need HD video or just a source to work with at the correct framerate?

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 04-18-2006, 06:06 PM

Thanks Guys... all very helpful. I think we're going to go with a VVTR. It sounds like the most robust, and flexible, solution. I had ruled out Mojo because of the no quick time thing (80% of my clients are on final cut), and the monopoly it requires in the fire wire. I was hoping to get something that would show up on a track in PT, as I like to see the frame view in my time line, but I can live without it. Also I do see some utility in the loop record function. Still VVTR will be best for us.

2 more questions

1. Which cards are you guys using with the VVTR?

2. I had read one of the fellas speculating that the PCIe bus might make room for "On Board" cards in the near future... Any thoughts on this? If someone in here with a bigger brain then mine thinks it's likely perhaps I would hold off on the VVTR and run a fuse as a temporary solution until the one I really want becomes available.

Make that 3 questions....

Am I the only one that feels like all of the video solutions out there, including and perhaps especially digi's own products, have some very serious holes in them? I've got to say they all feel a bit like "work a rounds" to me.

Thanks again for sharing!

Mike George
Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 PM

you can use VVTR with any card your computer will support.

i have used it with the igniterLT, FUSE-X and KONA LHe. all work well. i have had it in a G4/933 and now in a QUAD.

if you are haninging on to your old computer for VVTR, then i suggest a FUSE-X. but i don't know what aurora might do about a PCIe upgrade version or what should you buy a PCIe machine now or later.

get a dedicated, fast hard drive for video. RAID array or SATA.

PCIe solutions are being worked on at a few companies, so, i would think by or over the summer, more will be available.

was it ever perfect? you can't do video loops in VVTR becasue of the MTC stream needed to run it. AFAIK, "on board" solutions are the only ways to loop video along with record.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash