Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Instrument Track MIDI playback Issue with Reason

I have a problem when playing back MIDI from an Instrument track using any Reason instrument.

While I am recording, I'm able to hear the audio coming from the Reason instrument and the MIDI notes are being recorded on the PT MIDI lane, but when I play them back I don't get any sound.

Basically, I create an Instrument Track, open Reason as a stereo insert, wire the respective channels using Rewire, then select a stereo Reason instrument (such as Thor or NN-19), record enable it and start recording. The notes are there, but no audio is heard when playing back.

If I do it the long way (create a MIDI/Aux track combination) and then open Reason as an insert on the Aux track, telling the MIDI channel to control the AUX track, I'm able to listen to the notes after I've recorded them, but I would really like to use the Instrument track to save me some time. Am I am missing something setup wise?

This only happens with Reason. When I use NI Komplete I'm able to record and playback any Komplete instrument on a Instrument track.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is my setup:
Intel MAC Quad 3.0Ghz running MAC OS 10.5.8
Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 on a 003 Rack interface
Reason 6.5.2
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Instrument Track MIDI playback Issue with Reason

Ok, thanks to this video I discovered what I was missing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSN1JNrrrD0

It turns out that even when you use an Instrument Track, you need specify where do you want to output your MIDI.

So you will basically go to the Instrument track channel, show Instrument, and under MIDI output you will select the Reason instrument you are controlling.

This, in turn, will record and playback the MIDI notes from your Reason instrument.