Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 11-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Any suggestions for a reliable inexpensive interface for Pro Tools Win 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetry77 View Post
The Focusrite 2i2 looks exactly like the kind of thing i'm looking for, thanks.
Just 2 questions, what version of windows and pro tools are you using with it? And do you use the audio output for all windows functions, or do you only use it for pro tools?
Using 1 interface for both Pro Tools AND Windows audio can be a mixed bag(depending on the driver). Personally, I keep the two separate by choice, and have for 15 years. My setup includes a monitor/source switcher and I feed the optical SPDIF of the motherboard's own sound card. Plus, a well-featured switcher will do many more things that you might not have even thought of(yet) I use a Presonus Central Station(soon to be replaced with the Audient Nero) and have had it selecting inputs of PT-analog, PT-digital, iPhone, PC-SPDIF. And outputs to 3 sets of speakers plus subs. You could also keep things simple by using one the newer baby mixers(you really only need 2 stereo inputs for PT and windows).

As for the driver and using 1 interface for both PT and windows, give it a try. The dead giveaway that its not going to work will be if Pro Tools won't open a session because of sample rate(that SHOULD open). That tells you that Windows won't release the interface to PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Any suggestions for a reliable inexpensive interface for Pro Tools Win 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetry77 View Post
The Focusrite 2i2 looks exactly like the kind of thing i'm looking for, thanks.
Just 2 questions, what version of windows and pro tools are you using with it? And do you use the audio output for all windows functions, or do you only use it for pro tools?
Pro Tools using ASIO requires control over the 2i2 so you can't use it for both at the same time but you can use it for either one Windows Audio or Pro Tools by creating a desktop short cut for the sound control panel so that you can easily change the default windows output from speakers to 2i2 and back. Note if you try to do this while running Pro Tools it will cause PT to shut down usually.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'd give ASIO4ALL a try as you have nothing to lose. For replacing it, since you have firewire on your PC, a used 003rack is a great bargain(prices are all over the map but I bought 2 of them for $150 and $90 and they are working fine on the current release of PT(2019.10).
I have a 003 console ... I've been hesitating to upgrade to 2019.10 ... I currently am running 2018 with Windows 10 and been having no issues ... Looking for someone using that setup to confirm everything is working before I upgrade ... I'll be upgrading my interface at some point but wanted to put it off as long as I could ...
Old 05-14-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Pro Tools using ASIO requires control over the 2i2 so you can't use it for both at the same time but you can use it for either one Windows Audio or Pro Tools by creating a desktop short cut for the sound control panel so that you can easily change the default windows output from speakers to 2i2 and back. Note if you try to do this while running Pro Tools it will cause PT to shut down usually.
Using voicemeter should allow both to work at the same time.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:47 PM

003rack working fine with 2020.3 on Windows 10.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave