Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Learning alot about Reason but currently stuck

Using Reason Adapted Redrum. I've learned how to use and create patterns and have recorded a pattern in the sequencer. I've even got it rewired into a protools session and it plays along great. Trouble is, when I try to record it, I hear it, but I see no wave forms or visual representation of the beats being played? Is that right? Any suggestions on how to see what I'm hearing on the PT track?
8 GB
Protools First/Scarlett 2i4
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Learning alot about Reason but currently stuck

Create an audio track for the drums. Then route the output of the instrument you're using for Reason and Redrum to the input on the audio track (just use one of the empty busses you have). Record arm the audio track, and when you play Redrum, you should see the level meter on the audio track responding. You may need to adjust output from the Redrum instrument track to get the input to the audio track where you want it. Hit record and you should see the audio track print.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Still not having any luck. My Mbox2, version 7.0 manual say's I should create an Instrument track to record midi on. Your saying use and Audio Track?

I get signal on the main meter doing it either way, but when I create an Instument track, the little instrument view at the top does not show any signal. When I hit record, still getting a flat line, even though I can hear and see the main meter bouncing along to the beat.
8 GB
Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM

It's easier to help if you tell us exactly how you've set things up, and what you're trying to achieve. When working with Reason I always:
  • instantiate Reason on an instrument track
  • record the MIDI for that part
  • create a pre-fader send set to unity gain (zero), and route it to any free bus
  • create an audio track, and set the input to the same bus as in the previous step
  • print/record the audio to the audio track
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
It's easier to help if you tell us exactly how you've set things up, and what you're trying to achieve. When working with Reason I always:
  • instantiate Reason on an instrument track
  • record the MIDI for that part
  • create a pre-fader send set to unity gain (zero), and route it to any free bus
  • create an audio track, and set the input to the same bus as in the previous step
  • print/record the audio to the audio track
Exactly. That's what I was suggesting, too.

I think the issue might be that Sonic Blue is expecting Redrum to export the MIDI data of what it is playing onto the instrument track. It does not do that, as far as I know...at least not on Reason Adapted. When you hit play on Redrum, it simply cycles through the loop you created. So, yes, you'll hear it, but there really won't be any audio data to "see", unless you also do what PT Lover just suggested, and print the audio output to an audio track.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM

OK, following along step by step and I am stuck at this part -

"create a pre-fader send set to unity gain (zero), and route it to any free bus"

I don't know which send is the pre-fader, and I'm not familiar with the term "unity gain zero". I've google searched it, only found a more broad version of what "pre-fader" means and where it is under "options". More of a how to switch from pre to post. And it reffered me back to this thread.

Also, which send or in/out drop down is "any free bus". I'm sure it's one of the send drop downs above the faders, but experimenting has not led me to the correct combinations of sends, and in's and out's.

If you wouldn't mind dumbing this down for me, I think I can get it pretty quick.

Famous last words. Ha!
8 GB
Old 03-04-2011, 10:16 AM

when you create the fader right in the middle of the fader there is the letter P click on that to select it, Unity Gain is zero hold down the option key and click on the fader's volume it will reset to zero., hope this helps
Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Also, which send or in/out drop down is "any free bus". I'm sure it's one of the send drop downs above the faders, but experimenting has not led me to the correct combinations of sends, and in's and out's.
You have to know which busses you're currently using for other things in your session. Can't help you with that. If Bus 1-2 isn't in use, use that.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Ok, totally understand that. I'm not using any buses other than the one's on the instmrnt track and audio track. The only channels I'm working with here are those two plus master volume and click track.
8 GB
Old 03-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blue Meanie View Post
Ok, totally understand that. I'm not using any buses other than the one's on the instmrnt track and audio track. The only channels I'm working with here are those two plus master volume and click track.
So, you're all good now?