Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Sample Rate and H/W Buffer negotiation woes.

1. Can you change H/W Buffer Size from within PT without the need to quit PT?
    No.
  2. Can you switch between sessions with varying odd sample rates from within PT without PT either locking up, refusing to play, or the need to quit PT? I am specifically talking about switching between 44K1<>96K, 44.1K<>48K and 48K<>88K sample rates.
    Yes. Commonly switching between 88.2 kHz and 48 kHz, depending on which projects I'm working on.
  3. Which audio interface did you use for these questions?
    RME UCX (Pro Tools HD 11.2.1 on Windows 7 Professional SP1), RME Babyface (Pro Tools HD 11.2.1 on Windows 8.1).
Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Can Focusrite call RME and ask them how do they do it?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Cooper View Post
It's not a clear cut, is it? We have answers from two RME users. Regarding question no. 2 (sample rate change), one say no, the other say yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.LoDuca View Post
    No.
  2. Can you switch between sessions with varying odd sample rates from within PT without PT either locking up, refusing to play, or the need to quit PT? I am specifically talking about switching between 44K1<>96K, 44.1K<>48K and 48K<>88K sample rates.
    Absolutely not, PT will not tolerate that for a microsecond!!
    RME to MULTIFACE which is 16 i/o.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
    No.
    Yes. Commonly switching between 88.2 kHz and 48 kHz, depending on which projects I'm working on.
    RME UCX (Pro Tools HD 11.2.1 on Windows 7 Professional SP1), RME Babyface (Pro Tools HD 11.2.1 on Windows 8.1).
Thanks for the report mesaone, that's very interesting. Is there any chance that you are good at making screencast videos - showing your success in jumping between Pro Tools sessions with odd different sample rates, preferably using USB?

I know this is a huge request, but it would be invaluable as documentation for people with issues to bring to their respective manufacturers and developers. I fully understand if you can't be bothered.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorte View Post
Thanks for the report mesaone, that's very interesting. Is there any chance that you are good at making screencast videos - showing your success in jumping between Pro Tools sessions with odd different sample rates, preferably using USB?
I can do that. Probably not until this weekend.

There's also an important factor that this poll doesn't take into account. Windows sound settings. When a device is set as default in the Sound control panel, it hampers sample rate switching.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I can do that. Probably not until this weekend.
Looking forward to that!

Quote:
There's also an important factor that this poll doesn't take into account. Windows sound settings. When a device is set as default in the Sound control panel, it hampers sample rate switching.
Unfortunately, that has no influence here whatsoever. My Audient iD22 audio interface can be set as default windows sound card, it can be deselected as default, or even be disabled alltogether - none of it makes any difference.

Change of sample rate can't happen without the below error, followed by PT hanging for a while and finally followed by a PT restart.

Interesting note:
When I try switching betwen sessions with different sample rates, like 44.1 > 48, Pro Tools actually manages to communicate a change of sample rate to the iD22 mixer application. And I also hear a destinct "click" in the monitors indicating that something has been switched / reconfigured. And when checking the iD22 mixer app, I can see the sample rate has been changed. But when I press Play in Pro Tools, the above error pops up and PT needs to quit.
-
Old 12-04-2014, 01:08 PM

A video of me trying to switch between 44k1 and 48k sessions, in case anyone finds this misery amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylnz...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-04-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Cooper View Post

Haha call focusrite and get them to hire the rme guys
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM

RME is good about this kind of stuff. They even add functionality to discontinued products. Earlier this year they released updated drivers and extended TotalMix FX support for interfaces they debuted as far back as 2001. They even released updated product manuals for these products, documenting the added functionality.

I don't know of any other company that does stuff like this for 13-year-old products, resurrecting them years after EOL.

Edit: Actually, I thought of another company that does. Metric Halo is the same way.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Okay, I had time to film it tonight. Had to spend a bit of time working with the trial version of Expression Encoder, because FRAPS is apparently unable to film outside of DirectX applications in Windows 8.
I'm all ears if anyone knows of a better screen capture software.

Anyway, here's the video. I open a 44.1 kHz project, then open a 48 kHz project. My interface is also set as the default Windows playback device, and I demonstrate how it passes audio from both Pro Tools and the OS just fine, even after switching sample rates. The mouse is a bit jerky, I had to use this awful touchpad because my wireless mouse was charging.

I forgot to demonstrate the lack of buffer switching. Here's a pic. The buffer size is controlled by the driver control panel, and Pro Tools can't switch it because only the current size is selectible.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
I'm all ears if anyone knows of a better screen capture software.
I am not familiar with Expression Encoder so I can't promise that Open Broadcaster Software is better, but it's what I use. It's free and pretty powerful when you give it time and learn it. It can do streaming very well too. Recording virtual audio (Windows Stereo Mix) alongside video is tricky here, but maybe not so on your setup.

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! Your RME works just like I would like my interface to work. Very interesting!

Quote:
My interface is also set as the default Windows playback device, and I demonstrate how it passes audio from both Pro Tools and the OS just fine
That part works fine here too. I guess it's called a multiclient capable ASIO driver.

Quote:
I forgot to demonstrate the lack of buffer switching. Here's a pic. The buffer size is controlled by the driver control panel, and Pro Tools can't switch it because only the current size is selectible.
Yes, it's the same here and the reason for it is described in kdarbyshirebryant's quote elsewhere in this thread. Both RME and TC detects if the DAW is Pro Tools and if so, they do not allow Pro Tools to change it (quote TC: -We only lock the buffer size for Pro Tools so that other better behaving ASIO hosts will retain the ability.)