Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 PM

Default Is there a way to extract plugin settings from a project file?

I was just thinking about this while watching an Eric Valentine video - he had an older EMI compressor plugin in an old project which wasn't made anymore so he had to recreate his settings in a newer plugin. I know plugin settings are saved in a project file, but is there a way to "see" what the settings were for a specific plugin which might help you if you have to recreate a preset?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to extract plugin settings from a project file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetar View Post
I was just thinking about this while watching an Eric Valentine video - he had an older EMI compressor plugin in an old project which wasn't made anymore so he had to recreate his settings in a newer plugin. I know plugin settings are saved in a project file, but is there a way to "see" what the settings were for a specific plugin which might help you if you have to recreate a preset?
No.
Unless you can open the old plugin so you can manually copy down the settings.

QAPLA!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:13 PM

I just found a GitHub project where someone is working on a way to reverse engineer the pro tools file format - I've emailed the developer to see if it will read plugin settings (since they're all saved in the project file somewhere/somehow)...
Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetar View Post
I just found a GitHub project where someone is working on a way to reverse engineer the pro tools file format - I've emailed the developer to see if it will read plugin settings (since they're all saved in the project file somewhere/somehow)...
I know that SSL used to distribute a piece of Conversion software that would translate stuff to-and-from ProTools session files.

I'm pretty sure the session file format is encrypted, but if you save it as a PTS (ProTools 7-9), it might have better luck...