Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-04-2019, 02:35 PM

Default Instrument Track Default MIDI Input Question

This is kind of a two part question regarding using an Instrument Track in Pro Tools. I am using 11.3.1 but I believe this would be the case for many other current versions.

When I create a new instrument track, the view shows the input as "All" and the output assigns properly to the virtual instrument plugin I have assigned to that track. In the MIDI Studio Setup I have created devices, and I can select these devices as inputs on the instrument track. My question regarding this is, how to I set the default input to one of my midi devices and not "All"?

My second question is when a midi input is set to "all", and I record midi, I get duplicate notes. However, if I assign the input to one of my preset midi devices, I do not get the duplicate notes. Why does this happen and is there a way to have an instrument tracks input set to "all" and not have duplicate notes?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Instrument Track Default MIDI Input Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanman555 View Post
This is kind of a two part question regarding using an Instrument Track in Pro Tools. I am using 11.3.1 but I believe this would be the case for many other current versions.

When I create a new instrument track, the view shows the input as "All" and the output assigns properly to the virtual instrument plugin I have assigned to that track. In the MIDI Studio Setup I have created devices, and I can select these devices as inputs on the instrument track. My question regarding this is, how to I set the default input to one of my midi devices and not "All"?

My second question is when a midi input is set to "all", and I record midi, I get duplicate notes. However, if I assign the input to one of my preset midi devices, I do not get the duplicate notes. Why does this happen and is there a way to have an instrument tracks input set to "all" and not have duplicate notes?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
To answer your first question - can't be done that I can see. Of course you could make a PT session template and work from that.

Second question is a little more complicated and needs some info from you. You talk about 'MIDI devices' - what exactly do you mean - external sound modules, external keyboards? And how is everything connected? If it's standard 5 pin MIDI and you have both the in & out connectors connected you could be dealing with MIDI echo. To cure that go into the setup of each keyboard and turn off 'local on' in it's MIDI setup. Don't do this in OSX but inside each connected keyboard.

MIDI issues can be difficult to fix but not impossible.

QAPLA!
Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 PM

In the newer versions of PT, Track Presets handle what you want. Don't remember exactly when that show up, but there were hacks for earlier versions. Check out the last post in this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=382372

As far as the double notes - are you playing the same keyboard controller when when the input is set for All and when you select it specifically? With multiple controllers, how are they cabled, what MIDI interface, etc.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:13 PM

My Kurzweil PC2 is connected to a JL Cooper MSB2, along with a MegaDrum interface. The MSB2 just merges the 2 midi controllers into one output that goes into my RME Fireface 800 midi input. No physical loop back on these 5 pin midi cables.

So the only time I get double notes is when instrument track is set to All, not when my Kurzweil midi device is selected as an input. Same goes for the Megadrum.

I am now on PT 2019.5 and will give this another shot to see if it's changed.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:30 AM

So no MIDI cable connected to the Out of the RME to any In on the MSB2? Since your are dealing with one MIDI in, you are using different channels on the controllers, correct? If that's the case, then speculating that you have a split programmed ahead of the merge on the MSB if that's possible and with that scenario the problem would persist in PT 2019.

Anyway, Track Presets are a great addition to PT, plus several other improvements. I think you'll like the upgrade. I own a Kurzweil PC1XL which uses the same patch list as a PC2 with the orchestral ROM - great keyboards.