Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2015, 03:17 PM

Default connecting a patchbay to fast track ultra 8r

Do I connect outputs 1-8 on the interface to outputs 1-8 on the patchbay and then connect inputs 1-8 on the interface to inputs 1-8 on the patchbay normalled? I want to also connect a compressor and reverb unit to the patchy as well. Any help would be great!!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Default Re: connecting a patchbay to fast track ultra 8r

You probably dont want to have your interface outputs and inputs normaled together.

If you use live monitoring through your interface, you DEFINITELY don't want them normaled.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:36 PM

where do I connect the outputs into the patchbay?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Wherever you want, but you should not normal them to the inputs if you're monitoring live; this will result in a feedback loop on whichever output channels you have active.

Feel free to put them above the interface inputs, but keep them non-normaled.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Should the whole patchbay be de normaled? even for the compressor and reverb unit?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 PM

not necessarily. It depends how you work. If you rarely insert the external processors, then sure it should be non-normaled.

But if you have the reverb returns going back in most of the time, then they should be normaled to a pair of your interface inputs. If you track through the compressor most times, normal its outputs to the interface inputs (provided you have mic preamp outputs brought to patch as well, otherwise you would have to dead patch the compressor output). That's just a few examples. You should plan this out. It's hard to know how to set things up if I don't have a good idea of your full equipment list, or your workflow. Plus, I'm not a system designer so you're better off mapping it all out yourself
Old 03-11-2015, 07:14 PM

Generally speaking, OUTPUTs go on the top row, and INPUTs go on the bottom row, but, you DO NOT want the interface ins and outs to be normal'd, so consider having the outputs on the top row 1 thru 8, but the inputs on the bottom row, 9 thru 16. What you put below the outs, and above the ins, is totally up to your needs and your gear.

Having said all that, consider for a moment; A-adding a patchbay will double or triple the possible failure points in any audio path. B-patching some styles(like full-sized TRS bays) will momentarily short phantom power if you have it turned ON while you patch inputs, And C-if its too complicated to know how/why to configure, do you REALLY need it. No offense is intended here, just honest thoughts for your consideration. My setup is up to 28 inputs and I still don't have any patchbays(and not feeling the need either) I have purposely made the choice to not use hardware inserts as I feel that plugins will meet or beat any hardware that I can afford to own(no Pultecs or Fairchilds in my humble setup)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 PM

Let's first back up to the question...why do you feel you need a patchbay?

I'm not trying to dog you or put you down...but most of the time when folks ask questions like you're asking, it turns out they really don't need a patchbay.

There are a lot of good and smart people on here who will be able to give you lots of help, but in order to give you good advice, we really need to know what you're trying to accomplish...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-12-2015, 12:51 PM

I have a few compressors and 2 lexicon reverb units and not enough channels. I plan to add more.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frn0003 View Post
I have a few compressors and 2 lexicon reverb units and not enough channels. I plan to add more.
If your system specs are what you have posted in your profile, give me a call in a couple of weeks.

I'll give you $20 each for your boxes once you figure out that boxes are no substitute for knowledge...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh