Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-21-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Apogee AD16x and Protools

Hi, I need help. I am trying to find out if the Apogee AD16x will work with my 002R. My system is an Apple Aluminium Powerbook @1Ghz with 1.5Mb of ram and it has Firewire 800. My OS is 10.3.2 My protools version is 6.2.3 What I need to know is if the Apogee AD16x with a Firewire 800 X-card will interface with Protools. I have been searching for compatibilty information but have had no luck at all. Any help would be awsome.
Thanks
Marty
Old 03-21-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Apogee AD16x and Protools

The only wat to connect the AD16 is by the ADAT port on the 002r, this way it will only support 44.1 or 48khz no 96khz. the AD16x with the FW 800 card interface with your mac with ASIO extension, wich PT dont support. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:01 AM

Hi, Just to follow up, In the Digidesign CoreAudio Usage guide it says,

"The Digidesign CoreAudio Driver is a single-client, multichannel sound driver that allows CoreAudio-compatible applications to record and play back through the following Digidesign audio interfaces.
• Pro Tools|HD
• Pro Tools|24 MIX
• Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack
• Digi 001
• Mbox
• Audiomedia III
Full-duplex recording and playback of 24-bit audio is supported at sample rates up to 96 kHz, depending on your Digidesign hardware and CoreAudio client application. The Digidesign CoreAudio Driver will provide up to 18 channels of I/O depending on your Pro Tools System:
• Up to 8 channels of I/O with Pro Tools|HD systems
• Up to 16 channels of I/O with Pro Tools|24 MIX systems
• Up to 18 channels of I/O with Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack systems (or 18 in and 16 out with S/PDIF Mirroring enabled)
• Up to 18 channels of I/O with Digi 001 systems (or 18 in and 16 out with S/PDIF Mirroring enabled)
• Up to 2 channels of I/O with Mbox and Audiomedia III systems See also “Compatibility” on page 1. For Pro Tools TDM systems with more than one card and multiple I/Os, only the primary I/O connected to the first (core) card can be used with CoreAudio.

And on the Apogee website it says about the AD16x,

"Connect Directly to Pro Tools HD or any
FireWire Enabled Computer
Like their cousin the Rosetta 800, the AD & DA-16X offer an expansion card slot that greatly increases con nectivity possibilities. Add an optional X-Series HD card and connect AD & DA-16X directly to your computer via your HD Core Card. Using Logic, Nuendo or any of the many native DAW’s?
Add an X-FireWire card to your X-Series hardware and enjoy a direct, extremely low latency connection that supports FireWire 800 standards and has backwards compatibility with 400 standards. And, if you are buying multiple units, you can daisy chain up to a whopping 120 channels with incredibly low latency.
Optional S800 FireWire card capable of sample rates up to 192k, compatible with OS X/Windows XP and all popular DAW's

So theoriticaly it should work. or am i grasping at straws and after 6 years of using protools do i have to move to new software to go to tape with.
The lack of information about this is a little disturbing.

Can anyone shed more light on the subject?

Thanks
Marty
Old 03-22-2004, 04:27 AM

Not new software. You could get a HD-setup. the LE family does have its limitations...hence the LE...

Bastiaan
Old 03-22-2004, 06:13 AM

Hello MartyJB

Yes, everything seems correct in that Digi Core Audio description.
However, to get into PT, you'll need to use one of their HW interfaces. And...this is where
96Khz sampling rate is not supported via the ADAT Optical connections.
There is that X-series card option, which will get you directly to an HD core card, though.
I'm guessing you could input through FW800 into another application.
But...better ask on the MAC side

cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring