Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2001, 08:16 AM

Default compacting error

After I have bounced my surround mix , I compacted the session. At the end of compacting it gave me an error (exact name of error forgotten) and protools crashed (freeze). When loading the session protools does not find the compacted audiofiles. When I look in finder I can see, that the files are ony of 4 kb size.
Is this function in 5.1.1 crazy. This was the first time i used this function on a 3 gigabyte session. The last time i used it was at version 4.3. there it always worked perfect

Ale
Old 09-11-2002, 05:20 PM

Default Re: compacting error

I've just compacted a song and when I play back, the contain the correct regions (more or less) but are trimmed wrong.
Example: When I get to the chorus I have about 12-14 vocal tracks. All the parts play but some in the wrong place and appear to be trimmed incorrectly so I have to get the smart tool and retrim the region and re-place it in correct time. What would cause this to happen?
This is after I have just: select unused regions, remove/delete, select all, compact.

PTle5.0.1 sorry i know this is TDM but its all the same so i thought i'd reply and not start new thread.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 06:17 PM

The same her. After compacting my surround session my mac freeze. After that it was impossible to restore the session complete.
PT|5.1.3 [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 09-12-2002, 12:19 AM

Since those problems started when I switched from 4.2.. to 5.1. I dont use the compacting method anymore. I just remove unused files to keep the session as small as possible.

I accepted this problem like a lot of other problems, since digidesign seldom hears customer needs from the street.

Does anybody know someone who can repair a powersupply board for an 888 interface (in Germany). Digi wants to have about 500 Dollar for an 888 replacement. But a new powersuply would only cost them a few dollars. I don´t understand this. This is extrem user unfriendly. And of course this behavior stopped my thoughts about upgrading to HD this winter.

Ale
Old 09-13-2002, 08:10 AM

Now I can se.
I have had disastrous problems with my system for more than a week, se the resumé & read next !!!
==============================

“I am working on a surround mix of some popular Scandinavian children movies.
Certainly, my sound is moving around. .L can be .R or Rs. Some stems disapere but another tracks assigned to the same bus are thru.
The system is: PT 5.1.3 Mix .
Rosendahl Nanosync, clocking SSD, MTP AV, div. video decks &:
Core: ADAT Bridge split to AKAI DD8+ & Focusrite OctoPre
DSP 1: Apogee AD-8000
5.1 mix (3x aux) going light pipe to AKAI DD8+, than back on another 3 auxes thru AD-8000 to DynaAudio BM-15´s for monitoring.
Symptoms:
Audio is mowing all around or muted. .L going out thru surround….
Soundtrack & F/X groups, assigned to the same output, meters are moving but only one coming out monitors.
Clicks when istantiating/removing plug-ins, changing outputs or setting channels to record, resulting in muting audio or mowing to wrong outputs.
Every swich resulting in change of output or muting something.
Norton D.Doctor/Antivirus, does not reports anything.
DigiTest allvays OK.
PT installed several times again.
DigiSetup, DAE & PT 5.1 Pref. Deleted every time.
System with only AD-8000.
-//- -//- -//- -//- //- ADAT Bridge & AKAI DD8+ or Tascam DA-88 or Alesis AI3 or Octopre: no god.
Variations with AD-8000 or SSD as clock master or without.
It sounds like clock problem but all of my gear?
Clock & LightPipe cables checked.
Could the session be corrupt? It came on AKAI MO disks & TC DAT. It’s 16 bits.”
==============================

Now, if I make a new session & import tracks it´s possible to work but system crashes a lot.
To preserve some space I striped silence & compacted sessions in this project.
What I have discovered today is that: my files are not compacted. Sure 8Gb session became
much smaller but with the Trimmer tool I can make my file as long as I want again. Furthrmore, expanded clip has now new audio from other tracks or repeated from the same track. How & why can my audio became so corrupt time after time.

Please, if You have seen something like this, help.

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

http://www.mmvstudios.com