Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman86 View Post
I'm downloading the 30 day trial of 7 (beta) right now and I'm going to put Pro Tools 7.4 on a "crash drive" if you will... Just to see what happens. I know its a one and a Billion chance that it'll work but I'm up for experimenting. I'll let ya know what happens.
That's a "leaked" Beta version from the Professional Developers Conference. Microsoft does not have a downloadable "30 day trial". I myself would wait for the public beta later this month which will more than likely be RC1...and it will be a newer and more stable build.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 AM

I suggest that everyone that can download the official RC1 and give 8.0 a spin when its available.

Digi needs to put out a call for volonteers to test 8.0 on Windows7 RC1 and possibly incorperate it into the oft rumoured Vista 64 Trials. These no point in doing anything other than register Windows7 bug's at this point since the code is in flux but any major bugs can be noted. This should greatly speed up the qualification process

Also who ever finds the signup link/download information for Windows7 first please post it to this thread.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM

"Digi needs to put out a call for volonteers to test 8.0 on Windows7 RC1 and possibly incorperate it into the oft rumoured Vista 64 Trials. These no point in doing anything other than register Windows7 bug's at this point since the code is in flux but any major bugs can be noted. This should greatly speed up the qualification process"

The bigget non-starter and it's a big one for me... is the lack of PT8/W7 seeing an 003/002... thanks to Shane for pointing it out before I did the install, it saved me a lot of grief. Until DIGI can address that basic issue with a Beta program to test it with, there's not much you can do beyond a basic install with an MB class device at this point. The second major obstacle currently would be the lack of ilok drivers, though that is not directly in DIGI's domain. At least with an 003/002 and a basic install of PT8 you could get a lot of thrashing done.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
...Digi needs to put out a call for volonteers to test 8.0 on Windows7 RC1 and possibly ...
Hmm...

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
...The second major obstacle currently would be the lack of ilok drivers...
I already emailed iLok and crew today about this...did you?

Microsoft is stating that ALL Vista drivers will work with Windows 7. This current build is for developers. If something isn't working, Microsoft needs to know asap...as in now. Once they hit Silver Master, it's too late for changes if changes are needed.

Let's get iLok on this now!!

I already contacted Digi.

Shane

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Microsoft is stating that ALL Vista drivers will work with Windows 7. This current build is for developers. If something isn't working, Microsoft needs to know asap...as in now. Once they hit Silver Master, it's too late for changes if changes are needed.

Shane

Will do!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Shane
Shane
Ive done this allready microsoft and ilok.I have win7 up and running and it looks like this is the way to go.But i cant understand why 003 wont work especially when micsoft says it should.Who's to blame here digi or microsoft. If its digi a fix should be made available immediately,since digi had this beta long before we had it.
Very annoying indeed.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea View Post
...i cant understand why 003 wont work especially when micsoft says it should.Who's to blame here digi or microsoft.
I wouldnt say anyone is to "blame" at this point as Windows 7 is still beta software. Who's to blame for the iLok not working? The goal of Micosoft is to make sure all Vista drivers will work with Windows 7. They didnt say that all Vista drivers currently work with the Windows 7 beta. That's why it's beta.

Quote:
If its digi a fix should be made available immediately,
It comes down to resources. Avid/Digidesign layed off hundreds off employees recently. I highly doubt it's on their top priority list at the moment but they are probably aware of the issues and status just from the chatter on the DUC from those of us riding the bleeding edge.

Quote:
since digi had this beta long before we had it.
It's doubtful they did. This Windows 7 beta was relesed last Friday and Digidesign has been beta testing Pro Tools 8 obviously for quite some time. I cant see them having the resources and manpower to beta test Pro Tools 8 and at the same time worry about a Windows 7 beta which was just released. Digidesign had recent massive layoffs near the end of their Pro Tools 8 beta cycle about 2 months prior to the release and that's definitely gotta do some damage as far as manpower and resources go. I highly doubt the will stop a handful of developers from working on PT 8 bug fixes for cs updates just to fix a firewire driver for an OS that is in beta. As one of the developers posted so perfectly in the Mac TDM forum regarding an obvious feature that should have been in PT 8, "There's just not enough chef's in the kitchen". That statement says alot right there.

I'm sure at the very least they are looking into and gathering data regarding Windows 7 in preparation for it's future support. I'm probably more excited than anyone about seeing Windows 7 working with Pro Tools, but we do have to be realistic at the same time.

What we can do is let Digidesign, iLok and others know our own findings so they have enough initial accurate data to have a good head start when they finally do jump on Windows 7.

Good job for reporting a current status about Windows 7 to both Digidesign and ilok by the way. It shows alot of us are eager and excited about this new OS release.

Shane

Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt say anyone is to "blame" as at this point, Windows 7 is beta software. Who's to blame for the iLok not working? The goal of Micosoft is to make sure all Vista drivers work with Windows 7. They didnt say that all Vista drivers currently work with the Windows 7 beta.

It comes down to resources. Avid/Digidesign layed off hundreds off employees recently. I highly doubt it's on their top priority list at the moment but they are probably aware of the issues and status just from the chatter in the DUC from those of us riding the bleeding edge.

It's doubtful they did. This Windows 7 beta was relesed last Friday and Digidesign has been beta testing Pro Tools 8 obviously for quite some time. I cant see them having the resources and manpower to beta test Pro Tools 8 and at the same time worry about a Windows 7 beta which was just released. If you think about it, Digidesign had recent massive layoffs near the end of their Pro Tools 8 beta cycle about 2 months prior to the release and that's definitely gotta do some damage as far as manpower and resources go.

I'm sure at the very least they are looking into and gathering data regarding Windows 7 in preporation to one day support it.

Shane
+1

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 01-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Shane, I just posted to MS about the 003 and ilok issues. I hadn't even attempted the pace diriver install based on your warning but I went5 ahead and trie to install them to get reportable info and sure enough I got the "current MS version does not support...bla bla bla" nag which I specifically reported to them.

Exactly who do I send this to at DIGI? it's been awhile since I gave this kind of Feedback.

To Shea: I don't think we can come down on the Digi team even if they were at full strength. They have there hands full logging the FB on PT8 working on the current filed of OS: WinVista/WinXP/OSX10.5 in both LE and HD, not to mention bringing AIR into the picture big time, AND all the other plug developers. Now THAT would annoy the crap outta me. Just enjoy PT8 on the current OS of choice, it certainly runs fine on my XP and Vista installs, and I'll soon take the time to check it out on my MBPro.

The maturity of Win 7 IS worth waiting for and as I've said elsewhere this is a huge Public Beta the likes of which has not been attempted before. I predict that because of this and because DIGI and others will undoubtably be working on their end of things, that W7 will be ready by the time it finishes this Beta cycle in AUG '09.

Just my .02 written from W7 on the DUC.