Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Default playlist view still doesn't follow edit groups in Pro Tools 11

I've never been able to get any use out of playlist view. I understand how playlist view would be useful for comping a single track, ungrouped. It's never done the intuitive thing when dealing with grouped tracks.

As far as I can tell, playlist view doesn't follow Edit groups. For instance, "ALL". I record the whole band at once. Fiddle, guitar, vocal, bass, everything. I comp between whole band takes. So it's crucial that anything I do to one track happens across the board to all tracks, in the exact same spot. What can't this happen with playlist view? I've been doing it for years in waveform view, switching between playlists with the mouse. It gets time consuming. Playlist view could be a powerful solution, if it worked right.

I'm only able to edit one track at a time, and both the "paste audio to main playlist" function, and the little UP-ARROW button on the left side of the screen only paste audio to the main playlist of the TRACK I'M WORKING ON. Meanwhile, the other tracks in the group don't get edited in the spot I was highlighting.

Not to mention... auditioning in playlist view ought to follow the Edit Group selections as well. Like, if I solo Vocal .03, and the "ALL" group is selected, then Bass .03 and Kazoo .03 and Wind Chimes .03 and everything else ought to solo as well...

The only workaround I've been able to figure out is to hold the Shift key, select the desired audio from the playlist / track I'm looking at and then scroll down through all the tracks with Shift held, clicking the desired spot in each track- which highlights the same region in time, much like selecting audio in waveform view- until I've gone through all the tracks in my session. Now I can copy, paste to the main playlist, and voila, all the main playlists of each track get their proper pasted audio... this is hardly a time saver.

am I confused about something? i've seen people do this in Nuendo without batting an eyelash.

jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Default Re: playlist view still doesn't follow edit groups in Pro Tools 11

After a lot of messing around, I solved my own problem by creating a NEW EDIT GROUP when playlist view was open. Everything is working! It seems like the edit groups created under waveform view don't work as expected when you switch to playlist view . but now, well, i feel like a great weight has been lifted.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:18 PM

I will have to try this. I've had the same problem over the last year or so... sometimes I record for instance, a cello with three microphones, group them and record 5 takes on 5 playlists. When it comes to comp time, the second and third mic tracks, although they are grouped, and contain the same amount of playlists, when I put them into playlist view, and try and comp, only the one track i click the little arrow on actually pushes up to the main track.

I have to scroll down and do it to the rest. And if i spend any time comping with only the top track in view, my work is all useless and I have to start again!!

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 PM

I highly recommend you check out this thread for more in-depth analysis. For realz.

duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=374723
Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 AM

Thanks for posting all these useful tips! I had a weird playlist problem where playlist links worked fine in waveform view, but not in playlist view when soloing playlists. I had a couple tracks that had a few playlists more than the next couple that belonged to the same group (apparently some of the tracks were added to the group after a few takes). The links in the parenthesis were correct though, but still PT wasn't able to handle them properly which is clearly a bug.

After i removed the extra playlists, the playlist view started working properly, but then i realized a weird behavior which seems to be a feature that is beyond my comprehension. When you first create playlists, they appear in numerical order. But when you switch between different playlists as the main playlist the order gets scrambled. I tried this in PT11 and 12. Couldn't find anything on this in the manual. This is just horrible, my wish is to die. The default behavior should definitely be to keep the order numerical, or at least have an option to choose the behavior.
Any info/thoughts on this? It's really hard to find any info regarding it. Maybe i'll create a ticket.