Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 AM

Default freezing inst tracks not reducing cpu load

pt 12.4 mini (2014) maxed out...making a template w/quite a few kontakt instruments and tracks w/plugs (but most of the tracks are inactive)...switched from 12.5.2 to 12.4 in order to gain stability...meter says about 35% but I record ready 4 synth tracks and it spikes to 100%...I froze almost all the instrument tracks (even though since its a template there was nothing on them) with the thought that they could be there if I needed them in an instant...yet no reduction of cpu load...I hit the snowflake icon and nothing.......????
Old 09-25-2017, 05:37 AM

Default Re: freezing inst tracks not reducing cpu load

If there's nothing in the instrument tracks, there's nothing to freeze, and thus freezing will do nothing. Inactive tracks, however, should be using no CPU, so that's a better option for instruments you're not actively using.

Are you actually planning to record into four instrument tracks simultaneously? That will place a significant burden, especially if your buffer size is very low. You may need to increase the buffer while recording.

Also look at the other hungry plugins you have instantiated, especially limiters, linear phase eqs, convolution reverbs, Slate anything... these all eat CPU. Maybe disable whichever ones you can while recording.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 09-25-2017, 11:14 AM

oh thank you ok.....so then my question is if I make say a track w/a kontakt instrument inactive, does that "turn it off" or whatever in kontakt so no cpu power is used? I'm trying to have a template where stuff is up and accessible/ready to go but it seems to be very cpu intensive
Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM

If you haven't loaded an instrument in Kontakt, not much is going on.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monet View Post
oh thank you ok.....so then my question is if I make say a track w/a kontakt instrument inactive, does that "turn it off" or whatever in kontakt so no cpu power is used? I'm trying to have a template where stuff is up and accessible/ready to go but it seems to be very cpu intensive
yes if you deactivate the track, it should use no CPU. You can always check for yourself ~ open the CPU usage meter (or Mac's Activity Monitor, not sure what the PC equivalent is). Try activating / deactivating things and see what effect it has. Also if you deactivate a plugin, it will not use CPU, but if it's just bypassed, it might.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies