Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2020, 01:29 PM

Default FEATURE REQUEST: Batch rename on import audio

Pretty self explanatory... can we have the option to batch rename a group of audio files on import? The amount of files that get delivered with the song name before the track title is one of the most frustrating things about collaborating.

Yeh yeh.. pro tools has cloud collaboration... but it sucks... and most of the world create music in Logic / Reaper / etc, so until Avid actually bring PT in to a reasonable price point for the masses, it would be nice to take care of those who ARE paying a crap ton of money and give us features we ACTUALLY care about, unlike SDII file import
Old 09-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Default Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Batch rename on import audio

?
Old 09-13-2020, 07:14 PM

While I can appreciate the desire to put feature requests here, I believe there is a suggestion process to get you request up for consideration. This is a "User" community. So, it is a great place to bring up your ideas for discussion among us users and you'll likely get others with similar needs (or not), but it does not necessarily get into the queue for Avid to consider unless someone enters it into the suggestion process. I haven't done so in the past, so I can't say how it works, but you're probably better off putting your requests into that process rather than here. Nevertheless, feel free to post them here for discussion sake. It is a method explore and find out how many others share the need for that feature.

I just searched and the previous suggestion process "Idea Scale" seems to be no longer running (correct me if I'm wrong). The new method is through membership in Avid Customer Association at http://www.avidcustomerassociation.c...merassociation.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 09-13-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added ACA info
Old 09-14-2020, 02:43 AM

I agree that life's too short and cutting down on admin is a good thing, but when working with other people's files, if you maintain a consistent colour coding and track ordering system it doesn't really matter what they're actually called. e.g. for me a red track somewhere near the bottom of the edit window is always the lead vocal, even if the file's called "big fat hairy pie" or whatever.
Just my 2p
Old 09-17-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammymixer View Post
give us features we ACTUALLY care about, unlike SDII file import
This highlights the dilemma that Avid will always have.
I don't care about batch renaming on import audio (and would rather that Avid don't spend precious resources on it), but the SDII conversion feature is useful for me.
We all tend to use Pro Tools slightly differently and our needs differ.
Of course, I'm not saying your needs are less than mine, just different.
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:08 PM

Re: the SDII thing, makes you wonder what other bits of dormant code they'll reactivate and market as a "feature" to save having to come up with anything new. "Coming on the next release, backward compatibility with the Digi001."