Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Default Loss of frequency Panning Issue

OK, this is weird but I found it out by accident yet can't find anything about it so I hope someone can help.

This happens on all of my tracks but I found this on my guitar tracks which caused me to find it more and more.

When I pan my heavy guitars (2 mono tracks) hard left and right (100%) and run it through a stereo bus out I noticed at track/bus/main pan 100% I lose everything above 5K. Now if I bring the panning down to about 75% on each side it returns to a full frequency range again. This seems to cause the sound to go out of phase and badly weakens the power of the guitar. I don't know why this is happening and am hoping someone can tell me why.

A little back story, I've been trying for a long time to figure out why my amp sims sounded weak in my mix. Once I brought the panning within 75% they seriously came a live and are now very powerful and full sounding.

So in my project once I reduced all the tracks panning to 75% the entire mix came alive. It's like it causes the tracks to go out of phase.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Loss of frequency Panning Issue

Never seen this... it would be terrible. Does this happen with a single track full left or right panned?
Old 08-02-2020, 01:19 PM

even on a single track. I recorded a bunch of new songs and when I was mixing them I stumbled across this. I am frustrated on the why's this is happening.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVTOM View Post
even on a single track. I recorded a bunch of new songs and when I was mixing them I stumbled across this. I am frustrated on the why's this is happening.
I suspect that you have something wrong on your monitor system. What rig do you have? Anyway try to set the pt out to the internal (mac? Pc? Specs please) computer audio card and try with an headphones.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:59 PM

Opps sorry, forgot the computer specs...

Windows 10
Protools 2020.5
Focusrite 18i20 1st Gen audio card with current drivers
Yamaha HS-8's

The issue isn't in my monitors. I can hear it in headphones as well. I reloaded PT and updated all my drivers.

This issue has always been present but I never realized it was an issue until today when I was checking a mix with my Analyser and noticed the missing frequency. I went over everything I could think off but I can't find anything that could be causing this within the software settings, plug ins, folder structure or PC itself. I even checked my guitars' wiring and cables. It all checks out ok.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Opps sorry, forgot the computer specs...

Windows 10
Protools 2020.5
Focusrite 18i20 1st Gen audio card with current drivers
Yamaha HS-8's

The issue isn't in my monitors. I can hear it in headphones as well. I reloaded PT and updated all my drivers. I have not tried it with my onboard audio card because its a cheap card and can't handle PT at all.

This issue has always been present but I never realized it was an issue until today when I was checking a mix with my Analyser and noticed the missing frequency. I went over everything I could think off but I can't find anything that could be causing this within the software settings, plug ins, folder structure or PC itself. I even checked my guitars' wiring and cables. It all checks out ok.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:48 PM

Are you saying that if you have only one track playing centered it sounds with all its full spectrum and as soon as you pan it to one side the hi freqs roll off? Very weird. Did you try to bounce a stereo file itb (without going out from pt) and listen to it in another player? Where your analyzer is connected to? Directly itb or you have to go out of pt?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:08 PM

Are you saying that if you have only one track playing centered it sounds with all its full spectrum and as soon as you pan it to one side the hi freqs roll off? Very weird. Did you try to bounce a stereo file itb (without going out from pt) and listen to it in another player? Where your analyzer is connected to? Directly itb or you have to go out of pt?
Old 08-02-2020, 06:16 PM

That's odd, but there's an explanation. If you have a bare session with ONLY the two guitar tracks (not even a Master fader), and no plugins, then pan those two guitar tracks hard left and right, do you still hear the issue?
Old 08-03-2020, 07:05 AM

Its hard panned when it is heard. I bring it down to 75% it restores the frequencies back.