Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 06-27-2023, 11:01 AM

Default MTRX Studio Thunderbolt 3 card, HDX1 and Atmos

I am about to purchase an M2 Studio Ultra. I own 2 MTRX Studio's and HDX2. I am running everything with a Mac Pro Intel with a Focusrite Dante card. This scenario allows me to run everything off the HDX playback engine and still get 128 Dante channels to the Renderer. 64 channels of Dante per MTRX. I was originally thinking of selling my second MTRX Studio and both HDX cards and just running the M2 with the single MTRX and when I need to do Atmos I will just use the Dolby Audio Bridge. My first question is, and I believe I know the answer but I want to confirm, the Dolby Audio Bridge will give you a full 128 channels to the renderer correct? My second question is, and I read this in the Avid literature but again, I want to confirm this, if I keep one of my HDX cards and then I get the new MTRX Studio thunderbolt 3 card then I can run one MTRX, 64 channels of the thunderbolt card to the renderer and the HDX card 64 channels to the renderer together for a total of 128 channels to the renderer with the playback engine remaining HDX and not have to use the Dolby Audio Bridge. And a final question, if this is the case and I can get all 128 channels via the thunderbolt card and HDX card will there be any synch or latency issues between the two?
Old 06-27-2023, 02:46 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio Thunderbolt 3 card, HDX1 and Atmos

The Dolby Atmos Bridge is 130 channels in total - 128 for audio, plus a couple for LTC via the Dolby LTC AAX plugin.

A 128 channel hardware RMU setup requires 256 channels of I/O. 128 channels to get out of Pro Tools, then another 128 channels to get into the renderer. Unless you venture into some really cooked configurations using the analogue and ADAT I/O in the MTRX Studio, it tops out at 192. 64x Digilink, 64x TB3, 64x Dante. Sync issues aside, you could use the 64x Digilink I/O as the main playback engine in Pro Tools. You could then assign the 64x TB3 as AUX I/O in Pro Tools. This will give you 128 channels out of Pro Tools.

You will only have 64 channels of Dante left to get all that audio from the MTRX Studio into the render though...

The MTRX studio is really only designed for a 64 channel renderer setup. The new TB3 card follows that philosophy. You probably need a MTRX 2 with TB3 card to get to the 128 channels... and HDX2... or to throw the HDX system under the bus entirely. Depending on what your specific I/O needs are, a DAD Thundercore 256 with the new RedNet PCIeNX Dante card is about the same price as a new MTRX Studio and will do the 256 channels easily.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:12 PM

Seconding what LDS says, but to give a few more bullet points of information:

1) The MTRX Thunderbolt 3 card will show up as a CoreAudio device. So it isn't meant to be used WITH an HDX card. It's either one or the other as far as the Pro Tools playback engine is concerned. TB3 was not meant as a replacement for HDX cards, more like an expansion of the MTRX Studio to use it with other apps than Pro Tools.

If you did try to use both, you would have to have HDX as the main playback engine and the TB3 cards as an Aux I/O device.

Or, make them an aggregate device in Core Audio and use them both as a Core Audio device (which would lose the ability to use the HDX DSP and Hybrid engine, which doesn't make sense).

2) Aux I/O is great, but it's not up to being used for main audio device use yet. It does not delay compensate the same as the main playback engine. And this delay is variable (small, but it is variable). So if you used both HDX1+THunderbolt 3 to connect to the Renderer, your first 64 channels would be delay compensated different from channels 65-128.

I've also been encountering random dropouts with it recently. Hopefully that bug will be fixed, but the delay compensation issue won't be since it's a limitation of CoreAudio, not Pro Tools.

3) Getting rid of both HDX cards really depends on if you are doing a lot of Atmos and if you re-record your renders from the Renderer back into Pro Tools.

If you just make offline deliverables, it's not a problem. You can totally ditch the HDX cards and us the TB3 as your main interface into a single MTRX Studio, and then use the Dolby Audio Bridge as your main playback engine to feed 130 channels tot he Renderer when mixing in Atmos. Then offline bounce all your deliverables.

If you want to be able to record your deliverables back into Pro Tools and need consistent delay in order to do punch-ins, then the 128-channel hardware in/out setup is the best way to do that (although the most expensive as well).
Old 07-10-2023, 09:12 PM

Right. Sorry for the late response. I guess it really depends on the power the computer is going to be able to handle. I'm getting my M2 Studio Ultra tomorrow and I'll be testing it with my Atmos template soon and I'll try and post some results. Thanks for the information.