Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Default Running Kontakt 2 as Virtual Synth

I'm having serious problems running Kontakt 2. Everytime I load a patch that uses more than 30 MB of ram, the thing starts to stutter after the 5 or 6th bar. Then it chokes! Then I get the error, (-9129) you know, "reduce buffer size" one. I'm only running 1 MIDI track and Kontakt. I've got 4 gigs of ram (more than enough to cook my breakfast!) So what is the frikin' problem? This does not happen with any other VS, only Kontakt. I've tried to calibrate the sucker, but still no luck. I really like the sounds in Kontakt so I want to figure out this glitch........

I'm running tiger, and have PT 6.9.2 cs4

Anyone got any idea?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Running Kontakt 2 as Virtual Synth

check out the Kontakt threads on the NI Forums. Its a total nightmare. NI really let the ball drop with Kontakt and PT. ppl are furious and demanding refunds for a product that hasn't been updated or addressed since Vers2 came out. Sorry that I can't help tho. I have it too and its hit or miss. Very unstable and theres not much you can do.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 01-25-2006, 07:34 PM

Oh really, that could explain all the glitches then.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:29 PM

I'm having all sorts of problems with my NI Plug-ins on Protools 6.9.2. CPU spikes, buffer size, instanciation errors. Major headaches. The problem is not limited to Kontakt. It seems global relative to NI and Protools. They are allergic to each other. I'm thinking of switching to LIVE, which I hear integrates these otherwise fabulous plug-ins better. Are you listening Digi?
1.5 ghz 1.25 RAM
LaCie Firewire Drives
Digi 002 R
Rosetta 200
NI Komplete 3
Old 01-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Avid

Pink Floyder - Can you give us an idea of your system specs (computer model, cpu speed, RAM, etc)?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:24 AM

NI yields much better results when run as a stand alone plug-in. Very few versions of Kontakt have worked well inside pro tools, although older verisons were more stable than the current kontakt 2 version.

Guess what? they've spent the past year developing Kore, fixing bandstand, and akoustik piano...apparently there isn't an update for Kontakt 2 in sight.

from a thread headline on the NI sight
"Kustomer support; rotten to the Kore."

-CV
Old 01-27-2006, 05:29 PM

tech support:

I'm running OSX 10.4.2
Dual G5
4 Gigs or RAM
Pro Tools 6.9.2 cv4
Kontakt 2
Reason adapted

The Piano samples are the most CPU intensive, they require arund 37.MB of RAM. They definitely have the most stuttering. The Orchestra Percussion are ok, they use around 1-8MB of RAM. Every few minutes I also get error message in Pro Tools, even when I only use like 1 or 2 audio tracks w/out plug-ins (increase buffer size etc.....). I have plenty of RAM!

I think Digi is not really paying enough attention to the customers. I'm very frustrated with Pro Tools! Switching to Live may be the answer.

Help!!! I'm behind on my film scores. I want to get back to being creative; not fixing my Pro Tools!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:

I think Digi is not really paying enough attention to the customers. I'm very frustrated with Pro Tools! Switching to Live may be the answer.

Hey. I dont think its Digis fault. Native Instruments is NOT keeping up their end of it. They spend all their time churning out these little programs to sell at Guitar Center to newbies (Frantak, Impakt, BlahTak, CrapTak, etc), and dont focus on their potentially pro-level stuff like Kontakt 2. Its THEIR job to update it to run with new PTs and new Mac OS's. They havent touched Kontakt for a year or more. TOTALLY dropped the ball.

Don't blame Digi IMHO.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Avid

PinkFloyder - How do you have Kontakt 2 configured? Are you using DFD? What are all the settings at in their respective windows?

For instance, what are the settings for:

CPU Throttle?
Is MultiProcessor support enabled?
What is your Channel Buffer size set to?
Number of reserve channel buffers?
How much memory is assigned to DFD?

When using K2, set the left panel to the 'Engine' tab and look to see if CPU Usage or DFD Usage hit their maximum when you hear the clicks/pops.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM

DigiTech:

thanks for chiming in here...

are there any OS features such as spotlight, dashboard that might lower CPU if disabled? If so, could you give some quick instructions on how to disable these. I download shome shareware called "disable tiger features" but my system behaved erratically after installation ( I couldn't see anything on the firewire buss.)

-CV