Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2004, 08:21 AM

Default The use of the LFE track for DVD titles

Hi,

I'm just about to start mixing my first 5.1 feature (low budget and straight to DVD) and was wondering how the pros use the LFE track. As it is destined for DVD and given that most home cinema systems use a massive amount of bass management to make up for the crappy little sattellittes they use, would it be dangerous actually putting anything at ALL on the LFE track. I'm just worried about phase cancellations and while i can do my own folddowns to check i'm still concerned about this as i presume each consumer system has the bass management set up in different ways.

I've read that some people don't use the LFE track, but to me that does seem like a waste of the format. If the .1 is just to improve the bass response on playback why bother implementing it at the recording stage. Also, would i be right in presuming that cinemas don't employ bass management at all?

So, anyway, just wanted to get opinions on this. Also if anyone has any general, practical advice for 5.1 mixing i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Rob
Old 01-11-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: The use of the LFE track for DVD titles

VectorWarrior,
Use the .1 lfe channel to augment things such as explosions or impacts. Don't send everything there, just something to give it more sonic mustard. As for Theatrical releases, when you mix for Movies, you send information to the LFE only when needed. For example, if it's a walkie talkie, there wouldn't be of much use other than an occasional music sting etc. It’s 6 discreet tracks in 5.1. . If you’re concerned about bass management, then listen to your Mix through some sort of bass management and then make your judgments based on what you hear.
Good Luck,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:50 AM

Quote:

If you’re concerned about bass management, then listen to your Mix through some sort of bass management and then make your judgments based on what you hear.
as always dr. sound is right on the money, and i'll second this statement in particular. when you're mixing for the home, i've found it really helpful to have bass management running all the time. this way if there are any low-end issues (rumble etc) you hear them first. on the first dvd i mixed without bass management, i had people listening at home catching things i hadn't caught in my mix due to a lack of bass management in the mixing process.

-adam-
Atmos 7.1.2
hugmonstersound.com / unheardof.world
Old 01-12-2004, 05:51 PM

When you refer to listening through bass management, what would be the methods of doing so?

Using woofie? or another bass management plug in?

Make a preview disc of the mix to listen to on a home system?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2004, 07:09 PM

Anders,
I don't use any plug ins for Bass management. You can use this device:
http://www.tmhlabs.com/products/products.html or
http://www.mkprofessional.com/bass_mgmt.html and
http://www.mkprofessional.com/bass_mgmt2.html
Hope this helps,
Old 01-12-2004, 07:14 PM

There are plenty of companies that make bass-management controllers, some have more features, some have less features. Ours is middle of the road and provides bass-management, level trims and remote volume control. (excuse the self promotion) www.abluesky.com/bmc

When we talk about bass-management it is very important that you understand its purpose, which is to extend the frequency response of the 5 main channels. This is done as part of the monitoring system (b-chain) and not part of the recording chain (a-chain). The crossover for the bass-management system can vary depending on what monitors you are using. A typical THX pm3 approved monitor uses a 80Hz x-over, but you should check with the company that makes your monitors for more information.

With regard to the LFE - check this out. www.abluesky.com/lfe
With regard to more info about our view on bass-management - check this out. www.abluesky.com/fullrange

Dolby's website has this download which is really good - 5.1 Production Guidelines http://www.dolby.com/tech/L.mn.0002.5.1Guide.s.pdf
Old 01-12-2004, 08:02 PM

Pascal,
I didn't mention your stuff only because I didn't realize it was available separately from your system (or is it)? I have mentioned your site for "Room Calibration for Film and TV".
Sorry for the oversight.
Take Care,
Old 01-12-2004, 08:16 PM

Hello Marti :

No need to be sorry, I appreciate you posting our link. We do sell all our products separately and actually we have sold more than a few BMC's to JBL and Mackie users. Basically, any THX pm3 approved monitor will work with the BMC.

As an interesting side note, our BMC and the M&K LFE-4 / LFE-5 were all designed by Rich Walborn, one of the co-founders of Blue Sky.

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 AM

Pascal,

How much is your BMC? I didn't see it on your website.

Thanks,

Jeff D.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:46 AM

The Blue Sky BMC MSRP is $725.

If you are intersted in a review, here is one from Mix Magazine By George Petersen...

http://www.abluesky.com/m/p/bs80121a.pdf

Cheers!