How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2014, 01:57 AM

Default PT 10.3.5 on Mac OS X (10.9)

I don't know should I say I am lucky or unlucky or too excited ....because

Since I bought apple care ...and my iMac 21.5..(using 10.7).sometimes freeze and appears 5 different languages....which ask me to shut down the iMac forcibly....Especially when I am using PT n making music .....

5 different languages appears sometimes related to armor overheating (I heard)

Anyway,apple care offered me a new 21.5 iMac ....I denied firstly since some of the plug-ins could not be working properly in the new system

But I don't know why....I seems like a jerk who being tempted ....get a new iMac which runOS X 10.9...

During the shipping of new iMac.....I checked that. PT10.3.5 is not officially working in OS X......which scared me .....and turnout....I still managed to install PT10.3.5/even PT10.3.9 on the new iMac (OS X 10.9 ).....actually sometimes,i lok cannot be regonized .....but after I unplug it n plug again ...it is ok!!

So,may I ask ,anyone using PT 10 on OS X (10.9)is working properly ?or really as the officials said .....really cannot supported ??

Thx for all yr info ...
Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Default Re: PT 10.3.5 on Mac OS X (10.9)

Actually, many people have it woking on OSX 10.9 (Mavericks). The main thing that does not work is the unnstaller. When a new version comes out, it is recommended that you uninstall the previous version and do a clean install of the new version. Without the ability to run the uninstaller this can not be done and therefore Avid does not officially support this combination. There are manual steps to accomplish an install in Mavericks available on this forum (I don't have the link in front of me at the moment). Now some folks go ahead and install the new version over an existing installation without problems but some do experience problems doing this. Others insist on doing a clean install every time a new version comes out (including a fresh install of the OS). The best solution seems to be making a clone or image backup of your hard drive with the fresh OS installed and no Protools installed. That way you can always restore the backup or cloned drive and install Protools fresh.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 AM

Problem with the iLok stems from USB3 ports on current Imacs and the iLok itself being USB2. They should work together but more often than not don't. Solution for most is to get a powered USB hub and plug the iLok into that.

QAPLA!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 PM

Suppose I m not going to uninstall it or updating to PT 11...that's mean seems to be fine .......
And I hope so ....
And everytime ,I open PT...Ilok doesn't work properly....
So,thanks yr suggestion about USB 2.0 and 3.0.......

Thai you two of you....