Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 PM

Default 11 Rack in Mono?

Hello all, my first post here. I've purchased an 11 rack about a month and a half ago. And after a lot of testing it with different setups
(into 2 tube amps, into my computers audio interface/nearfield monitors, with pedals in front and in the loop and into a Alto TS112a),
I'm loving this thing.
It has allowed me to remove a few amps/amp stands/mics/mic stands/cables
from my guitar setup, greatly simplifying everything and loving the way it works and sounds, the connection possibilities are almost endless.

My question is -are any of you running your 11 Rack in mono throughout the signal chain, including the fx loop and monitor?
If so how do you have it connected and is it working out?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Default Re: 11 Rack in Mono?

I have a dual setup: on the first presets I store my sounds in the stereo version (in case we have enough free channels on the board) and on presets 51 up I have a mono version.
The 11R has two internal settings that are important if switching from stereo to mono: one for the fx loop and one for the outputs. If you switch them to mono it basically doesn't matter which XLR out you use. I still chose the left one, because I am used to having l als mono source in most pieces of gear.
But what you have to bear in mind is to readjust your delay settings as well. If the 11r sums up the signal path to mono, a stereo / ping pong delay won't necessarily sound the same as the stereo version. I had to go through all presets to double-check that (hence I stored them separately).
Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM

I only run in mono.: output, delay, fx loop. Easy setup for practice, rehearsals and gigs
Old 09-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmf View Post
I have a dual setup: on the first presets I store my sounds in the stereo version (in case we have enough free channels on the board) and on presets 51 up I have a mono version.
The 11R has two internal settings that are important if switching from stereo to mono: one for the fx loop and one for the outputs. If you switch them to mono it basically doesn't matter which XLR out you use. I still chose the left one, because I am used to having l als mono source in most pieces of gear.
But what you have to bear in mind is to readjust your delay settings as well. If the 11r sums up the signal path to mono, a stereo / ping pong delay won't necessarily sound the same as the stereo version. I had to go through all presets to double-check that (hence I stored them separately).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldR View Post
I only run in mono.: output, delay, fx loop. Easy setup for practice, rehearsals and gigs
Thanks for the replies I think I will try staying with everything in mono for a while. I only record guitar with the 11 in my little home studio (bass player)
and have other guitar players record there also, it's good to keep everything simple (plus I don't want to have to buy another Alto ).

Now I'm going to start selling my amps, the 11r is awesome for my needs!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouch7 View Post
Now I'm going to start selling my amps, the 11r is awesome for my needs!
Hell no, silly idea, how about running the Mains Out to two of those Amps with no Cab instead. You don't play through near field loud speakers those are for mixing.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Hell no, silly idea, how about running the Mains Out to two of those Amps with no Cab instead. You don't play through near field loud speakers those are for mixing.
Yea I tried that for a while and it worked and sounded good as long as I tweaked the 11 for it, I agree it can work great but for my use it made all of the models sound too similar or something.

Then after a little reading I went and got an Alto TS112a (powered pa speaker) to try, and man, in my opinion, and for what I wanted it's working out great.
The Marshalls sounded more like Marshalls the Mesa's sounded more like Mesa's, the Fenders like Fenders and so on.
I've only done a little bit recording with this setup (just testing really) but so far I like the way that what I'm hearing through the Alto
sounds real close to what I'm getting on disc via S/PDIF. So I don't have to have my computer on all the time
when working on songs or jamming/writing with others and my presets will record "direct" well to how I've tweaked them for the song or whatever.

Don't get me wrong I love tube amps and have got a lot of good results micing them. The 11r just integrates into my small studio so well and I like the tones I'm hearing out of it.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Nice reply couch, you stated your point very well. Time and time again on this forum and others, musicians playing through near field monitors and asking silly questions as to why is this device sounds so sh*t. Synthesizer and keyboard plays fall into this trap also. Nine times out of ten it's the musicians lack of experimentation that's at fault.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:50 PM

In my humble home studio I often play through my KRK Rokkit G2 6s (or one) or the Audio setting of my Roland Mobile cube that is said to be flat.

I like the 11R because I can get great tones at low volumes. Am I missing out not using a powered PA or Tech 21 Power Engine or Atomic Reactor?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzler View Post
In my humble home studio I often play through my KRK Rokkit G2 6s (or one) or the Audio setting of my Roland Mobile cube that is said to be flat.

I like the 11R because I can get great tones at low volumes. Am I missing out not using a powered PA or Tech 21 Power Engine or Atomic Reactor?
At home: not really. A good pair of nearfield monitors is superior. The Roland propably not.
For live use: it depends. I used an Atomic Reactor 112 (the small one with 18 W tube power) and it sounded ok, but not killer due to a lack of headroom and eq options.
The only reason I am back on the 11R now after using amp & pedals for a few years is that we use a Presonus desk live which gives me a full 4band para EQ for my aux so I can "linearise" my active wedge very easily and get a tone that's comparable to the results of my nearfield monitors. Which is VERY important when you're creating presets at home!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Good to know.