Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Default Question about big studio monitor speaker power management

Hi!

I so wonder that How does the big studio or teatre manage their speaker power? For example, i dont turn off the speaker power and turn off Power Strip (Power bar). There s no puck sound (bam, bump) of speaker amp.

But the big teatre and big studio, how do they manage? Always turn off the speaker amp power and turn off audio interface and computer?*

Please let me know this. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by sign3912; 09-17-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Default Re: *Hi I have question about big studio monitor speaker power management.

Multi tap? Puck sound? Is this google translator doing a "poor" job again ..

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 AM

Default Re: *Hi I have question about big studio monitor speaker power management.

Sorry I correct my sentence.
Thank you.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:26 PM

I'm not clear on some of what you are saying, so I will just let you know what many studios do:

#1-its not uncommon to simply leave all the gear powered up(maybe not something a home/project studio would do, but any studio that operates more than 8-10 hours per day might leave everything on because the in-rush of current(AC current) at startup is more harmful to equipment than leaving it all on.

#2-place the power amplifier(assuming a separate power amp) in a place that is convenient to reach and simply turn the amp on last. When you want to shut everything down, kill the amplifier first

#3- add a second power strip that only powers the amp/speakers. This is my own method and I always turn that power on last, and off first. its pretty much a "standard" practice in any audio system(live or studio) to turn amps on last and off first. I use a Furman PL8-PLUS which uses and actual breaker for on/off. The cheaper models use a power strip that wears out sooner as the switches are cheaper and burn out due to arcing in the switch

#4-if you have a separate power amp, check the back(or the manual) and see if it has a remote power feature(so you can wire in a switch somewhere handy for the engineer to reach(I know that many QSC power amps offer this feature)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm not clear on some of what you are saying, so I will just let you know what many studios do:

#1-its not uncommon to simply leave all the gear powered up(maybe not something a home/project studio would do, but any studio that operates more than 8-10 hours per day might leave everything on because the in-rush of current(AC current) at startup is more harmful to equipment than leaving it all on.

#2-place the power amplifier(assuming a separate power amp) in a place that is convenient to reach and simply turn the amp on last. When you want to shut everything down, kill the amplifier first

#3- add a second power strip that only powers the amp/speakers. This is my own method and I always turn that power on last, and off first. its pretty much a "standard" practice in any audio system(live or studio) to turn amps on last and off first. I use a Furman PL8-PLUS which uses and actual breaker for on/off. The cheaper models use a power strip that wears out sooner as the switches are cheaper and burn out due to arcing in the switch

#4-if you have a separate power amp, check the back(or the manual) and see if it has a remote power feature(so you can wire in a switch somewhere handy for the engineer to reach(I know that many QSC power amps offer this feature)

Thank you for good reply.

And How does engineer on/off speaker, if the speaker attatched to the wall?
I saw those studios. They has remote control function that swtich on/off?
I always on speaker at last, and off speaker at first. But My Mixing room is so medium room. But I wonder how do very big studios manage their power.

Thank you!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Question about big studio monitor speaker power management

As already said many will leave stuff on.

If they are separate power amps many of those have 12VDC driven power switching and lots of Pro and consumer automation systems drive that stuff. Some powered monitors have auto power-down modes (like Genelec models). Some power monitors might have 12V DC control support as well.

But why? Are you building a studio? Buying new monitors? What exact monitors and/or amps do *you* have?

Big hot power amps, especially any exotic/high-end that have continues bias (and therefore suck a log of power at all times) I'd probably power down over night... and many of those have standby mode specifically to do that. Class D amps in monitors... I'd worry less.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
as already said many will leave stuff on.

If they are separate power amps many of those have 12VDC driven power switching and lots of Pro and consumer automation systems drive that stuff. Some powered monitors have auto power-down modes (like Genelec models).

But why? Are you building a studio? Buying new monitors?

Hi, Yeah. I was ready to build Post studios. And I use Genelec Active Monitors (L C R LS RS LFE). So I wonder how I can turn on/off everytime after work.

Can I need something control this on/off switch? If power strip.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sign3912 View Post
Hi, Yeah. I was ready to build Post studios. And I use Genelec Active Monitors (L C R LS RS LFE). So I wonder how I can turn on/off everytime after work.

Can I need something control this on/off switch? If power strip.
You already own these and know the exact model monitors??? (because we don't) ... you can read the documentation for those models to see what they support.

This thread is really a waste of time if that was your specific question.

If you are going to purchase monitors then your Genelec dealer and/or studio designer can explain what power options different models that you should look at for your needs.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-18-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You already own these and know the exact model monitors??? (because we don't) ... you can read the documentation for those models to see what they support.

This thread is really a waste of time if that was your specific question.

If you are going to purchase monitors then your Genelec dealer and/or studio designer can explain what power options different models that you should look at for your needs.

Thank you for reply. Sorry for these bad condition question. But your reply so helps me!! Thank you. I'll ask for this to Genelec dealer. Thank you.