Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
I appreciate it. I'm off to bed.
CME,

Support for Registration and Activation issues is free, and has been for years.

That is why Digi Tech Support said to start a Registration case. It is separate from regular support, and does not require an ASC code.

Alternatively, you can contact them by phone, and follow the prompts for registration/activation issues. You just might be on hold for a while though.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
...Also the basic Pro Tools isn't so crippled as to be incapable of doing project conversions. I went back and forth effortlessly between HD and LE for a decade. HD buys you features that speed up mixing but regular is more than capable of getting any job done with minimal work-arounds.
That's a good point. I, myself, was debating whether I should downgrade to the basic version and use the CPT with the 10 license. Unfortunately, that plan might be a deadend in a few years when Avid decides to stop bundling 10 with future licenses. The current EOS for bundling 10 looks to be sometime in 2016.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:12 PM

Default New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
In a few weeks, there may be a bug fix update, lets call it 11.3

After that, a new feature release is issued, only for people on support plans, call it 11.5

Then, after that, a bug fix release is issued, that fixes problems with the new feature that first was seen in 11.5, and also fixes long standing bugs that are in 11.3 and 11.5

This is the problem with support - it's the never ending carrot game.

What gives them desire to fix long standing issues?

They will (have been for years, admit it)

just make everyone just find work arounds w/o fixing issues. And then let's say they do fix it, when Jan 1,2017? Or April 1,2017?

It requires us to have faith that avid is not going to do us wrong and just ride the subscription train all the way home to higher stock prices

We have to pay and expect that avid will deliver - we may get a great version and then again we may not, either way they got your money.

(And what about hardware upgrades)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:18 PM

I am am staff at a university and purchased an educator license for pro tools 11 native (not HD) almost exactly one year ago. How do these new licensing changes effect me? There's nothing for me to upgrade but I'm not really sure where to start looking for what effects me and how. I find it all confusing.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 PM

Default New Licensing

There's been a statement by avid on the record saying that if you are using an educational license you have your prior agreement still active
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:34 PM

Just a few things...

As was alluded to not to many posts above this one, the primary driver behind all of this is to keep Avid out of trouble with the SEC. Moving to a "service contract" and/or "rental" model accomplishes this.

Have you given any thought as to why you get an extra three additional months of "support" if you purchase 12 months of "support" before the end of 2014? Because Avid wants to be nice? Because Avid has a bunch of forms with "2014" printed on them?

Or could it possibly be to ensure you get at least a PT 12 (?) out of your first year's service contract?

Just an educated guess, but it looks like Avid might be moving to a "versionless" software model. There would still be version "numbers", but they would primarily be of use to the software engineers and support techs.

This could work out well for users, as it eliminates situations where the software engineers could have a fix for a critical bug sitting "on the shelf" waiting for the next scheduled release date. By "slipstreaming" bug fixes, they can be rolled out as soon as they pass QA testing.

Typically, the software periodically "phones home" to see if any updates are available, and if so, "sets up" an update. Sometimes it will ask if you want to update...in other instances it will automatically update...it just depends on how you have things configured.

Every so often there will be a major "version" upgrade, i.e. PT 11 to PT 12, but most of the time updates will be "silent".

But anyway you toss it, some changes are coming...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 PM

I've already upgraded fro PT HD10 to HD11....

On the store page and from the upgrade options it says this
"
Already got Pro Tools | HD 11? Purchase this upgrade to get on Advanced Support now ......"

What does this mean?

there are only options to upgrade from PT HD 10 again
Old 11-04-2014, 12:08 AM

Default New licensing

Sorry for starting a new post, but there are over 140 pages on the previous post....

Could someone possibly explain where I (and other current owners ) stand re this new system? I have had HDX2 for the past 6 months or so.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 AM

So - it's all on sale at the Avid shop. Anyone gone for it yet? Specifically, anyone now know how it actually works in practice?

Tony's answered a lot of questions in the past 24 hours, but - bizzarely to me - not the question on how it works. The products are now on sale, yet we still don't know. Do we keep the same iLok assets as before (PT10 / PT11 permanent license combos)? Are new versions all point releases of 11? If so why can't existing users just download them and use them as well? If they're PT12 / PTwhatever, do we get a third license in our combos?

Beuller? Beuller?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-04-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
CME,

Support for Registration and Activation issues is free, and has been for years.

That is why Digi Tech Support said to start a Registration case. It is separate from regular support, and does not require an ASC code.

Alternatively, you can contact them by phone, and follow the prompts for registration/activation issues. You just might be on hold for a while though.

Registration. Okay that's what he meant by "reg". I took it as regular.

And for the heck of it I'm trying to upgrade an old MP license. I'll let you know what happens if I can ever get the store to use my account.