Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Audio Record Volume

Has anyone resolved this? I just installed Pro Tools 6.9 on my new G5 (10.4.1) and I am getting the 'session must be on an audio record volume' error. When I go to Windows=>Show Workspace and try to change my drives to enable audio record, it says the drives cannot be designated as an audio Record volume because it is not a valid audio volume. I have two drives, they are default Mac formatted drives, and I have stuff on them I can't delete, so I don't want to wipe them clean. I've verified and repaired permissions, still nothing. I've dragged the digidesign databases to the trash and re-started. Still isn't working.

This is kind of a show stopper, someone please advise.

Dan Cowles
Sr. Video Producer
Macromedia, Inc.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:45 PM

You'll have to format them using the Disk Utility.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Avid

Sorry, Dan, but you'll need to back up the data on those drives and format them with the OSX Disk Utility.

Usually the drive format coming from the factory is not correct - they will mount just fine, but Pro Tools and some other applications will not be able to use them properly.

Always format new drives with the Disk Utility before using them.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:40 PM

I had this problem just recently and I discovered that the problem was due to the DigiMachOservices in the frameworks folder of the Library. These were the wrong version for the LE version that I was running. I think the problem was that I had been using the Computer (a G4) for TDM then I uninstalled TDM (using the safe method) and installed LE. This did not replace the DigiMachOservices with the correct LE versions. I did a complete deinstall (full version) then a complete install and all worked correctly. Try this it will work.
Regards
Simon L.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:02 PM

Am having same issue. Tried all of the above, reformatting my audio drive (OSX Extended, Journaled), deleted all protools prefs & dBs, repaired permissions, clean-uninstalled PT & reinstalled, still no luck. I am trully stuck on this one. Brand new G5 dual 2.3, OSX 10.4.2, 002 Rack PT 6.9. I am tired and going to bed now. Digi and/or somebody... PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Avid

Quote:
Am having same issue. Tried all of the above, reformatting my audio drive (OSX Extended, Journaled), deleted all protools prefs & dBs, repaired permissions, clean-uninstalled PT & reinstalled, still no luck. I am trully stuck on this one. Brand new G5 dual 2.3, OSX 10.4.2, 002 Rack PT 6.9. I am tired and going to bed now. Digi and/or somebody... PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!
You need to update to Pro Tools 6.9.2 for compatibility with Tiger, OS 10.4.x.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Hi -

Just installed LE 6.9 w/ DV toolkit on two identical (and virgin) dual 1.8 G5s running 10.4.2

Problem on one of them -

The 2nd 400g SATA drive, diveded into three equal partitions, and formateed with Disk Util to Mac OS Extened Jornaled will not be recognized as audio volumes. Have reformatted several times, with journaling on and off. Sometimes PT will recognize the drives immediatly after formatting, but the next time you launch it it goes back to the "seesion must be on a valid audio drive" routine.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:11 PM

I tryed the re-instalation of the pro tools and Im getting the same message when I try to Change "A" column space in (WORK SPACE) to Record
Old 08-11-2005, 07:11 PM

I tryed the re-instalation of the pro tools and Im getting the same message when I try to Change "A" column space in (WORK SPACE) to Record
Old 08-22-2005, 04:35 PM

If you are using PT LE 6.9 with Mac OS 10.4 (tiger), you must download and install version 6.9.2 from Digi's website. I had all the problems listed above, and once I installed 6.9.2, all my drives became available as audio record volumes (even the ones that I did not reformat with OSX Disk Utility).