Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2021, 07:11 AM

Default protools install

Hello little question I have protools 2020.5 on windows I would like to take the protools 2020.12 it is possible to install both versions on the same pc thank you
Old 02-20-2021, 08:08 AM

Default Re: protools install

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on PC. Drive imaging is one solution to this(and believe me when I say, "you NEED to be using drive imaging"). Save regular drive images of all your installed drives(system, samples, recording). You will NEVER regret doing this. But the longer you work with computers, the more likely you WILL regret not doing this Backupper(free), Backupper Pro(not free), Macrium Reflect(free) and Acronis True Image(not free) are all capable options. Save an image of your 2020.5 C: drive>uninstall 2020.5>install 2020.12 and see what happens. If it goes sour, restore from the drive image and you will be right back to where you are now.

Another solution(which I use) is to have a second system drive. I have 2 500GB Samsung SSD's. I started with a solid working system and then cloned that C: drive to the second SSD. I then swap the drives and run the clone. If I want to try a new version of PT(or anything else for that matter), I load in the new software. If it goes well and the system is happy for a few weeks, I clone over the first SSD and swap that into service. If the new software doesn't work out, I clone over drive 2 from drive 1. The point being that I always have 1 working C: drive, while the other tests new software, or is cloned from the first(which makes for fast and easy recovery from any calamity, be it a virus, malware, ransomware, system crash, etc). All the above programs also do disk cloning.

BTW, swapping drives on a laptop might not be super simple, but most desktop cases will have an open 5.25" drive bay that will accept a "no tool" SATA drive cage(swapping a drive takes all of 5 seconds) and there are several companies that make adapters that hold a 2.5"SSD and will slide into the cage.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-25-2021, 01:46 AM

Default Re: protools install

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't work on PC. Drive imaging is one solution to this(and believe me when I say, "you NEED to be using drive imaging"). Save regular drive images of all your installed drives(system, samples, recording). You will NEVER regret doing this. But the longer you work with computers, the more likely you WILL regret not doing this Backupper(free), Backupper Pro(not free), Macrium Reflect(free) and Acronis True Image(not free) are all capable options. Save an image of your 2020.5 C: drive>uninstall 2020.5>install 2020.12 and see what happens. If it goes sour, restore from the drive image and you will be right back to where you are now.

Another solution(which I use) is to have a second system drive. I have 2 500GB Samsung SSD's. I started with a solid working system and then cloned that C: drive to the second SSD. I then swap the drives and run the clone. If I want to try a new version of PT(or anything else for that matter), I load in the new software. If it goes well and the system is happy for a few weeks, I clone over the first SSD and swap that into service. If the new software doesn't work out, I clone over drive 2 from drive 1. The point being that I always have 1 working C: drive, while the other tests new software, or is cloned from the first(which makes for fast and easy recovery from any calamity, be it a virus, malware, ransomware, system crash, etc). All the above programs also do disk cloning.

BTW, swapping drives on a laptop might not be super simple, but most desktop cases will have an open 5.25" drive bay that will accept a "no tool" SATA drive cage(swapping a drive takes all of 5 seconds) and there are several companies that make adapters that hold a 2.5"SSD and will slide into the cage.
thank