Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Default Using Mbox Mini (3rd Gen) as playback device problem

Hi guys.

Recently downgraded from the Mbox (3rd gen) to the Mbox Mini (3rd Gen) a friend gave so i could have ProTools 9 on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine.

Prior to this transition the Mbox was a dream to have as a playback device.

After several hours of installing/reinstalling, testing on other computers i cant seem to fix this problem.

My Mbox mini used as a playback devices SOUNDS fine without the Mbox 1.0.6 drivers...Once the drivers are installed the Mbox Mini makes bursts of crackle/white noise when ANYTHING HAPPENS!

e.g. (CTRL) + (+/=) to change from Edit/Mix...CRACKLE!
playing a song in Tools and highlighting something using the cursor...CRACKLE/NOISE until I stop highlighting.

This only happens on my Windows 7 PC and not the others...Any chance theres a fix or older drivers to use?

Cheers
Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 AM

Best bet is to try the gen windows trouble shooting. I'm thinking its usb optimizationa/ power handling needs to be addressed. With that saidm once its working this box does odd stuff sometimes. When that happens reboots will generally fix it for me. At least until the next time I pull it out.

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Using Mbox Mini (3rd Gen) as playback device problem

I've tried restarting many times and the problem still remains.

I got so sick of it i even tried reformatting my computer and it still makes this problem.

Ill try removing some accessories plugged into the computer to help power distribution.

"gen windows trouble shooting" what exactly is that? sorry
Old 04-23-2012, 04:17 PM

bspeak--
I'd like to know that the 'gen windows troubleshooting' is also, since I have similar disfunctionality of the mini.

juzzi --
how are you able to get sound without any drivers? Is this thing a standalone, meaning, should I be able to hear something through it from say windows media player?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM

In windows 7, if you right click on the speaker cone (Bottom Right) and click on "Playback devices" you can choose a default playback system, i've always made this option on my audio interfaces so if im using protools, ableton, audacity or FMOD it all plays through my gear to my monitors.

and yes even windows media player will play through it, even games.

Without the drivers installed, windows 7 sees this Mini as a audio device and sends audio to it, But you cant do anything in ProTools with it.