Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Default Whats your protools 003 rack studio? What are you using, how much plus

Just wondering what everyone is using and what you would do if you had a budget for four thousaund. This is for home studio.

I heard this is a good setup

DIGIDESIGN 003 RACK
PRO TOOLS LE 7.4.2
MACKIE UNIVERSAL HUI MIXER
M-AUDIO BX8A'S PAIR
WAVES MERCURY BUNDLE
ANTARES AUTOTUNE V5
MAC G5 "MAC OS X 10.5 LEOPARD"
RODE NT2A MICROPHONE
RTA CREATION STUDIO DESK
OWC MERCURY HARD DRIVE ELITE PRO 500GB
AKG HEADPHONES
Old 10-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Whats your protools 003 rack studio? What are you using, how much plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Tigre View Post
Just wondering what everyone is using and what you would do if you had a budget for four thousaund. This is for home studio.

DIGIDESIGN 003 RACK
PRO TOOLS LE 7.4.2
M-AUDIO BX8A'S PAIR
WAVES MERCURY BUNDLE
ANTARES AUTOTUNE V5
RODE NT2A MICROPHONE
RTA CREATION STUDIO DESK
AKG HEADPHONES

Um... I would disagree with some of that.

Get the :
Digi 003 Rack w Pro Tools 7.4.
A GREAT set of Monitors/Speakers (Check KRKs for quality and price)
A GREAT microphone.
Some Headphones.
Reason 4 Software.
A Midi Keyboard for $300 or so. Check Edirol out.
And maybe a softsynth or some plug ins in Pro Tools or something like that.

$4000 doesn't get you too far to be honest. There are mics that cost more then that by themselves.

And one more VERY important thing... you might want to take some money to acoustically "treat" your room... even if it's only foam and bass traps. Every little bit helps.

This all depends on your main goal though.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Whats your protools 003 rack studio? What are you using, how much plus

Waves is the bomb but do some searching you can save a large portion of your $4k if you go with some other company. And then upgrading the plug-ins will also be cheaper.

There are so many threads on waves vs others, I'd do some searching and see what else is out there. I'm 100% sure you could find something else that would please you. Unless you're just buying them for the clients?

And follow Krumbz advice. I now spent my load and wished I would have invested in good bass traps and sound proofing first. None of the gear matters if the end results sound like poo. You'll save so much time remixing and rebalancing and remixing if you can just get a good mix in the first place and there aren't huge dips and spikes in frequencies in your room. Bass traps muy important.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 AM

Hi,

It's my studio :

- DIGI Rack 003
- Pro Tools LE 7.4.2
- Mc MIX (Euphonix)
- ReMOTE 37 SL (Midi KB)
- Mac PRO 8 cores + 2 screens (Samsung)
- Adam A7 (monitoring)
- Platinum Bundle (Waves)
- Se Electronics SE 2200 A (Mic)
- TB-202 (Preamp)
- Sony MDR 7506 (HD)

A little more than 4000$ ...

Check my signature for the rest.

Cheers,
Vincent

DAW : Logic 8 - Live 7 - Pro Tools LE 8 DIGI 003

Analog Synth : DSI Poly Evolver KB - Moog LP SE II

Virtual synth : Nord Rack 2X - Nord Wave - Virus TI

Controller : M-AUDIO KeyRig 49

Others : Motu 828 MKII - Motu Express 128
Old 10-04-2008, 06:22 AM

Hey,

I think the first question to ask is what kind of music you intend to make.

Quote:

DIGIDESIGN 003 RACK
PRO TOOLS LE 7.4.2
M-AUDIO BX8A'S PAIR
WAVES MERCURY BUNDLE
ANTARES AUTOTUNE V5
RODE NT2A MICROPHONE
RTA CREATION STUDIO DESK
AKG HEADPHONES
After that we must ask what it is about this specific gear that makes you want it (yeah, I know, I can be a real pain in the ass ).

The 003R is a good piece of hardware if you want to use Pro Tools LE. If you want to use a control surface and use Pro Tools then I'd suggest to ditch the Mackie and get a Digidesign control surface or the 003 fader version. The integration is much better.

Some like Waves, some hate them, not so much for their sound, but more for their policies. Personally I think you can do as good or better for less money. I think the first thing you should do is TRY the plug-ins included. They don't suck and you can make perfectly fine mixes with them. If you think they lack, then figure out which of them does THEN have a look at what else is out there.

Mac G5? Get an Intel! Not a PPC.

For monitors, try out a couple of different ones if possible. Unfortunately, I think monitors often are a case of "the more expensive the better". I still suggest you try out a couple of ones to see which ones you prefer.

It's impossible to suggest a mic before we know what you'll do with it. Do you intend to record vocals? Acoustic guitars? Congas? Bongos? Guitar amps? Etc. etc.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Skip the Mercury bundle as it will eat most of the $4k by itself. The rest is fine but(as mentioned) plan for room treatments and listen to some other speakers as there are several in that price range. Check this source for bass traps on a budget:
http://www.readyacoustics.com/index....eon-bass-traps

and if you want some foam for high frequency control, foambymail.com is a great source.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Hey,

I think the first question to ask is what kind of music you intend to make.
Im looking to play with my acoustic guitar and sing. Two guitars actually, will be playing...I have a thirty two inch monitor, i think i have to look into what synths are and controller cards i thought that came with the 003
Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:

DIGIDESIGN 003 RACK
PRO TOOLS LE 7.4.2
M-AUDIO BX8A'S PAIR
WAVES MERCURY BUNDLE
ANTARES AUTOTUNE V5
RODE NT2A MICROPHONE
RTA CREATION STUDIO DESK
AKG HEADPHONES
Expand! is the main "synth" that comes with PTLE at this point, but there will be additional ones with PT8. Expand! is very useful - bread and butter stuff and it sounds good.

As others have said, I would not invest in that big of a Waves bundle without having some experience in using both their plugins and Digi plugins - as well as demoing other plugins. The latest version of Digi plugins are entirely usable (EQIII and CompIII).

I have the Waves Platinum bundle and quite frankly, if I was buying new today, I would look somewhere else with the possible exception of their L3, which can be purchased separately. Fortunately, the cost to keep the Platinum or Mercury bundle updated is not bad at about $200/year. It's that initial cost that'll get you. I worked my way up: Native Power Pak > Gold > Platinum over several years.

I've used Autotune since version 3. I have little use for Autotune now that I own Melodyne. Get Melodyne...trust me.

What he said about the G5 - get the baddest 8 CPU Mac Pro you can buy - that's an Intel chip, not a G5. Well...maybe not necessarily the baddest, but an 8 core if at all possible. Get the memory upgrade from someone besides APPLE; I'd suggest 4GB to start; 2GB minimum. Get 3rd party internal drives to expand storage. No need to use a firewire drive when you can put 4 drives inside and get better performance. The only reason you'd need an external drive is if you want to take it to another studio for mixdown - or for off-site backup.

I haven't heard the BX8a's, but I think the Adam A7s are a great little pair for the money. If you were doing more hiphop and needed a more powerful bass end, then the BX8's might be ok.

Don't forget that very soon PTLE v8 will be released with a bunch of brand new plugins. Don't buy something that may already come with the new version of PT. You can always add the Platinum or Mercury bundle later if you still want it.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...