Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2003, 12:47 PM

Default Any way to automate Active/Inactive traks in PTLE

Is there a way to automate the sellection of Active and Inactive Tracks in PTLE 6.2.2?

If I recorded more that 32 tracks but I want to select between the Active and Inactive tracks during mixdown to keep the voice limit under 32 tracks, how if at all could this be done?

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 12-26-2003, 11:59 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Default Re: Any way to automate Active/Inactive traks in PTLE

Good question.
I'd like to know if there'sany way to do this, also.
Anybody..?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Any way to automate Active/Inactive traks in P

No - that would defeat the 32 track voice limit.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-27-2003, 08:33 AM

Rail, so what is the point in having all these potentially active tracks other than to lets say open a TDM session in LE or to track to your hearts content in LE and then move to TDM for mixdown?

Is that it?

I remember going to a Protools 6 expo at Guitar Senter Seattle, when it first came out, where the rep specifically suggested that this was indeed posible. I remember asking if this would work on a 001 w/LE and as far as I can recall, I left excited at the posibilities, probably for some good reason.

What do you think? And anyway if only 32 "voices" are active at one time it wouldn't matter if I had, say 128 recorded "Tracks" in my session as long as I do not ecceed the 32 voice limit. This makes complete sence to me.
Is it a system "physical limitation" or a "governing" by Digidesign, that won't allow me to activate/de-activeate tracks at my own free will?

I'm not mad, just curious

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 12-27-2003, 12:22 PM

I believe that you have to stop playback to change a track's active/inactive status. If so that alone would prevent your idea from working.
Also check the automation window. I don't think there's any way to enable automation of this function. Still, it's a nice thought.
Matthew 11:15
Old 12-27-2003, 12:40 PM

The point is that you can seamlessly exchange sessions with a TDM system (as I do all the time) - LE is meant to be a stepping stone to get yoiu to buy a TDM rig.. it is named LE for a reason.

You can also use the 128 tracks to easily do submixes - so 32 tracks shouldn't be a major limitation - most released albums were done using 46 tracks or less for years. Learn to commit (produce) and you'll find you have plenty of tracks in your LE system.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-27-2003, 02:34 PM

Rail, I couldn't agree more with you about commiting and producing and as a matter of fact I seldom find the need for more than 24 tracks in a session for this reason. However I was not refering to music, but more in a foley ADR sence. It's easy to max out 32 tracks doing audio post.

This said, the usefulness of 128 tracks and submixing will definately be of benefit to me in the comming months as I layer soundeffects and dialog on the Independent movie "BLACK".

Thank you for your insight.

Brin.

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
Old 12-27-2003, 05:11 PM

Quote:
- most released albums were done using 46 tracks or less for years. Learn to commit (produce) and you'll find you have plenty of tracks in your LE system.

Rail
Thank God somebody with some credibility finally said this. Most people don't understand that having a few limitations can be the best thing in the world for creativity. Going for the lastest and greatest is totally beside the point. What most of us have in front of us, right now, could only be fantasized about ten or fifteen years ago.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:15 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Most definitely. I actually was getting by w/ 24 tracks (although, most clients we see are doing live instrumental rock/pop...), but it's nice to have a few more, just in case...