Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 04:56 AM

Default NI layoffs & restructuring

I know we have a lot of NI users here from Kontakt to Massive to Maschine and thought this pair of links would be of interest to people.
From Create Digital Music:
https://cdm.link/2019/09/native-instruments-cuts/

and from Music Radar:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/nati...ified-platform

I know there was a posting over on GS about a 50% layoff and that that's what was holding up Unfiltered Audio's Lion synth from being released due to not getting the NKS bits signed off on. Reading these articles suggest things are much deeper than that.

A new platform? Scary. And there are still bugs in Kontakt 6 that aren't getting fixed even though NI has acknowledged they exist. Couple this with the botched rollout of Massive X and one can see things aren't that rosy. Really - what other sampler engine has as deep offerings from third party developers as those that run on Kontakt? UVI doesn't begin to come close that I can see. And neither does the EW Play engine.

QAPLA!
Old 09-08-2019, 09:56 AM

Default Re: NI layoffs & restructuring

NI should have just written “we are moving to subscriptions” because that is clearly where this is leading with “new platform.”
Old 09-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
NI should have just written “we are moving to subscriptions” because that is clearly where this is leading with “new platform.”
So you don't think they're rewriting code then?

QAPLA!
Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So you don't think they're rewriting code then?
No. They are going to put out something like Avid Link with even more unwanted “service products” and have their sample library partners forced into that ecosystem with subscription-model sales.

There’s a reason why Spitfire (who has grown into one of the largest sample producers) has abandoned Kontakt. And it doesn’t have to do with the sample engine.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:49 AM

We have NI Komplete Ultimate 12 now and will stay there should crap hit the fan. No more subs for us as we have had plugin overload for way too long and only buy hardware now

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
No more subs for us
Same here. NI are you listening?
Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly what it looks like to me.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
No. They are going to put out something like Avid Link with even more unwanted “service products” and have their sample library partners forced into that ecosystem with subscription-model sales.

There’s a reason why Spitfire (who has grown into one of the largest sample producers) has abandoned Kontakt. And it doesn’t have to do with the sample engine.
Oh boy - just what we don't need.
Not to be a snot but Spitfire is abandoning Kontakt? I took a look at a couple of their libraries and they're still providing Kontakt Player with them. I didn't look at them all though. Are they going to be using their own engine?

QAPLA!
Old 09-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Development Partner

Let's hope this doesn't delay Catalina compatibility for NI. Any new Macs coming out later this year will probably not run Mojave (that's the way Apple typically rolls) and there's a pent-up demand for the new Pros. The majority of stuff I run on my system has been 64-bit compatible for quite a while. The notable exceptions are NI and (cough, cough) Avid.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Oh boy - just what we don't need.
Not to be a snot but Spitfire is abandoning Kontakt? I took a look at a couple of their libraries and they're still providing Kontakt Player with them. I didn't look at them all though. Are they going to be using their own engine?
Yes. Nothing new in about a year uses Kontakt (may be longer.) Spitfire uses their own engine/plugin.

They are still submitting for NKS approval though -- I'm guessing that is free/low cost since NI is still trying to build up that platform.