Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2018, 04:48 AM

Default Arturia Pigments

For the first time Arturia has come out with a synth that's NOT a model of anything that exists or has existed and it's called Pigments.

https://www.arturia.com/products/ana...ts/overview#en

Looks like it covers a lot of the same ground that Serum does. Downloaded the demo and am a bit disappointed. Now understand that I don't have Serum but have demo'd that in the past (ended up going with Avenger) but the Pigments sound just doesn't seem to have the same sound quality that Serum has. Granted Pigments's second engine can be either wavetable or 3 oscillator additive but still....... The demo is time limited to 20 minutes at a time and one can't save tweaks to patches.

The modulation routing scheme is a bit strange as well. Would suggest taking a look at some YouTube videos on this. The owner of this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRY...aI3dp57syZUdIw had access to an early version and has put up a couple of videos on it.

Apparently one can import their own wavetables. Don't know if an end user can import their own waveforms into the additive engine though.

Current price is $149 US slated to go up to $199 at some point in the future.

QAPLA!
Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Arturia Pigments

Got it from a friend who had several NFR and all I can say is skip this one no matter how good people think Arturias emulations of other synths are. This one is not for making modern music. I could see people who make soundscapes for film And TV etc but both Avenger and Serum is a way better choice with better sounding programming.

All IMHO of course and some will disagree which is OK

Just because there is a new VI released doesn’t mean everyone is gonna have to have it. I mean how many VI does a small studio guy need, get some of the great Serum or Avanger expansions instead and make your own presets. This one is not a straight forward ”make music out of the box” VI and not for us.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Got it from a friend who had several NFR and all I can say is skip this one no matter how good people think Arturias emulations of other synths are. This one is not for making modern music. I could see people who make soundscapes for film And TV etc but both Avenger and Serum is a way better choice with better sounding programming.

All IMHO of course and some will disagree which is OK

Just because there is a new VI released doesn’t mean everyone is gonna have to have it. I mean how many VI does a small studio guy need, get some of the great Serum or Avanger expansions instead and make your own presets. This one is not a straight forward ”make music out of the box” VI and not for us.
Agreed to all and then some. The programming of a lot of the sounds has nasty artifacts when the wavetables loop back around. Certainly not as smooth as either Avenger or Serum.

To say I was disappointed wit this release is an understatement. I have everything else that Arturia does and this is not going to be making it into my arsenal. I just did the VCollection 5 to 6 upgrade because of the price drop and I wanted the DX7 and Fairlight emulations (I owned a DX7-II and got to play with a Fairlight CMI back in the day right alongside an original NED Synclavier).

As an aside I do have a beef with Avenger - it's weird licensing system and the fact you have to do the license asset/system profile thing everytime you get an expansion. I'd really wish they'd do iLok but Manuel and Rene seem allergic to that idea.

QAPLA!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:27 AM

I don't have any wavetable yet, I don't do as much dance as Christopher or others here so I think I will be happy for a good while with the cheapest one I can get my hands on, probably Codex when it's on sale. I too like VIs that sound great right away, inspiration don't wait for much tweaking sometimes but I guess that depends on the type of music you make.